Skip to main content

Car Caravan Tour - Covid Time Work-a-Round

 


On December 30th Susan, Ros and I met in the parking lot of the Houlton Visitor's Center (inside the visitor's center building is where Pluto resides as a part of the Solar System Model). 

 It was just a few days before that we had finalized a date and time for me to participate in my first "dawdling, gawking, dykely caravan tour.   

We met in the parking lot and headed North on US Hwy 1 (the one that has the Solar System Model) to the tribal land of the Houlton Band of Maliseet.  I had never heard of the Maliseet before moving to Maine, and it has only been since buying my home in Patten, that I have become very interested in learning more about both the history and present of the MicMac and the Maliseet tribes. 

It was a sunny, mild day.  Off we went.  We each had our phones anchored and our voices coming through our car speakers.   Susan and Ros took the role of "tour guides" very seriously.   They pointed out area's of interest or historical importance along the way.   We stopped and "gawked" often at the amazing vista's we saw often as we drove.  We drove slow.

Once on tribal land I learned the history of the reclamation that has happened since 1980 when the Houlton Band of Maliseet were granted federal tribal recognition and  sovereignty.   Both Ros and Susan shared a lot about the efforts that have been done to return the land back to it's more native state.  We drove on very "back" roads following the river and looking out across to Canada.   

We spent several hours driving.  I would ask questions, Susan and Ros eagerly responded.  Our conversations were hopeful, acknowledging the resiliency and power of self determination.  I was so uplifted by this community that was so lovingly shared  on our "tour".  It was meaningful to be able to see what has so intentionally and diligently been honored - the land, their people and their traditions.   

This happened before January 6th, but even then we often found ourselves talking about good leadership, community, traditional values and principles and how necessary, welcomed and needed they are today.  I felt privileged and humbled as we slowed moved along dawdling, gawking and feeling connected.

There was still more....it was as if nature itself wanted to participate in the respectful introduction to this land - as we coming along early on in our "tour"  all of us noticed something moving deeper back from the road.  We stopped, moved our cars back and forth trying to get a better vantage and YEP it was a black bear.  Just meandering along.  We watched for quite awhile.  We went back and forth along that road two other times, each time stopping, watching, being in awe of just how beautiful this bear looked moving along doing whatever a bear does in the middle of the afternoon at the end of December when they are not hibernating.  It all seemed just right. 

We did drive outside the tribal land and went down a road 

where I could see a dead end road.  In this picture you can see the international border and an old official home of border officials.  Up until this time I had not taken a single photo.   My phone was in it's holder and was how I was getting my tour narration and connection.  

I decided that I had to get out of the car, I pulled the phone out and ran out of the car so that I could "go to Canada".  I ran and danced and twirled around, arms outstretched.

I took a picture of the international marker -  I danced in Canada and was happy to have this moment of defiance and fun.  

I went back to the car, put my phone back in it's holder.  Checking in with Ros and Susan, when I saw a car racing down the road.  As it got closer I could tell it was the Border Patrol.  Susan and Ros's car was the first in the line,  I could hear them when they were talking to the agent. 



He was young and easy going.  Susan talked about just giving their friend a tour.  He then stopped and talked to me. 

I confessed how happy I was to be able to take and all to  in Canada,  he thankfully did not share any comments that I am sure he heard from the agents back at the border patrol office as they were watching this old, braided, white haired woman dancing and twirling and walking along the border. 
 

It was a hilarious and fun end of the "official" tour.  We made our way back around.  Saw the bear one more time.  Gave big expression and gratitude to the ancestors and headed back home.  

I have since then been talking up the "covid response" and trying to set up more "tours".  I have several takers.  Stay tuned, who knows what will be awaiting on the next, yet to be named Northern Maine tour.




Comments