Skip to main content

Too cold - Make Ice Globes

Two Snow Globes on Porch


I have two ice globes  sitting on a TV Tray on my front porch and they look much better than this picture of them.  That may be your invitation to make your own ice globes and see how beautiful they are when shining in the cold darkness.  

 I have for the past two weeks been trying my hand at making a functional snow globe.  

The first batch of balloons I bought were not very flexible and didn't make for a shape that would hold a candle.   

My other challenge was it was not really cold enough.  It needs to be cold enough to freeze the outside of the shape but not freeze all the way through.   

I have a small odd size globe glowing it is actually sitting on it's side, and I had to work make a space large enough for a candle and also stay safely in place.

On Friday I bought some other balloons and today I had a bigger more successful globe.  They are both glowing.

I am going to make more tomorrow.  I plan to move the globes from the porch to the front yard and set and see how many other glowing globes I can make.  We are having a few more days of j"ust the right weather" and I am hoping to make a big bunch of globes.  It makes me smile to wonder what Terry and Ted and Charlie and LeeAnn (my neighbors) will think when they see these little lights flickering in my front yard.  

For tonight I am enjoying the glow of my first success.   I have them in bowls to catch any water that may form from the candle heat.  They are twinkling and give off a warm softer light than what you see in the photo.   It is a fun little winter adventure.  An act that reflects a heart that is a little lighter.  

I am feeling a little lighter,  I know that we have a long way to go.  The pandemic is raging.  Everything that fueled the insurrection on congress is still raging.   There is so much more but I am going to stop at that....  

I am focusing on what President Biden is asking of us, doing our part.  Yesterday when talking with very good, very dear friends who are much younger than me I heard myself saying, "I just want to be a good do-bee".  Then I stopped, I was like, "where did that come from?  I know it is from a TV show, do either of you know?   No,  I think it was from when I was a little girl".    Meanwhile Karen was googling 'good do-bee'.   It was the Romper Room.   

This afternoon I too went online to see what I could find about the Romper Room.  Romper Room was a program for young children five and under.  It was a new program in the 50's when it started having a program for young children with young children.  Miss Nancy had a magic mirror and called out names of children at the end of each show.  Mr. Do-Bee was an oversized bee, and he instilled moral lessons.  I am well aware having explored Romper Room videos, songs, and articles how much it reflected the 50's - it was a white show, with white people and white characters.  It was what I watched as I sat on the couch or laid on the floor in my grandparents where I lived with them, my younger brother and my Mom.  

I have no idea why being a good do-be came into my head yesterday.  The first thing I thought of after I said it was the Doobie Brothers.

The reality is I can't remember having any memory or conversation or anything about either the Doobie Brothers or Romper Room for at least fifty years.  So why do I want to be a good do-bee?    I think that there is some part of me remember that little girl who wanted to do the right thing, who wanted to please my Mother and the other adults in life.  Somewhere there is a little piece of me that wants to Please Joe Biden.  Who want to do what President Biden is asking us to do right now.  It's that simple.  

So I will wear my mask,  I will get the vaccine,  I will do my part.  And why not also do the Do Bee Dance - Enjoy!




 



Comments