Skip to main content

Cooking Something Different!

 

Curried Favors Cookbook Front Cover
I found myself feeling a little sorry for myself today.   I am so ready to have someone else's cooking, to go to a really good restaurant and enjoy exploring dishes I seldom or never have tasted.   Instead of encouraging a downward spiral I pulled out one of my favorite cookbooks and I am making a recipe that I have never made from the book.


 While I finish this blog my first attempt at Chicken Masala is bubbling away on the stove.

I made my own mixture of Garam Masala.  I have the jasmine rice warming in the rice cooker.  The aroma coming form the kitchen is really good.

I am imagining walking into a neighborhood, sit down and pull up your sleeves and enjoy whatever special they have for the day.

Today's special Chicken Masala with Jasmine rice and steamed green peas.

 While the masala is cooking I have a tray of ice globes that are getting frozen.  I am hopeful that I can bring them by the end of the night.  

I did try some food colors and am experimenting with size and shape to make a globe that will hold a candle and not roll around.  

I sure have not perfected this process yet.  I am going to make more globes tomorrow.  I am hoping that I can get enough globes that I can move the porch globes to the front lawn....thinking that I might use flower pots as globe stands.  I am moved to make light to see little twinkling on my lawn.  It is a fun fantasy as I continue to hunker down at home.   

I have had no more flashbacks to my tender years, the "they were really not so good" old days.  My fleeting "good do bee" has stepped aside for my "grandmother crone" - she is feminist, she is angry, she is emboldened, and she is so ready to get a vaccine and have a plan and enough for all of us to begin the process to move into a new normal...

For now I am enjoying my ice globe light and am ready to dish up my Chicken Masala.  Not bad for a Monday.



Comments