Skip to main content

What a Difference Two Years Make

 

On January 7th 2019, I closed on my house.  Literally, within hours workers descended on the house.   There was so much snow and I wondered where my new Snow Guy to put it all.   Friends came and cleaned.   The Bates Fuel folks brought the new furnace, the duct guy came down from Houlton.  My carpenter was working on a new closet in the bedroom and shelving in the dining room.  The construction folks were replacing walls.  The insulation people were putting in insulation.  The painter was ready to paint every wall that was not wood paneled.  It was a whirlwind of activity, with a little less than three weeks before the scheduled move!  And it all happened.

Here I am.  Today I am snuggled in, appreciating and feeling supported by this house - my home.  As warm and cozy as it is inside, outside it has been grey all day long, not even a glimpse of the sun.  It felt damp and there were a couple of flurries earlier this morning.  I did not mind hunkering down at home. 

 I did not sleep well last night.  I don't usually have trouble sleeping but I did last night,  I kept waking up, not being able to go back to sleep, fitfully sleeping and then waking up again.   I had to be up and ready by 8 a.m.  the same carpenter that built my shelving, closet and more two years ago was here right on time this morning to put the last of the new window coverings on my window. It took about fifteen minutes.  He was cheerful and the new shade looks great.  I had one other job that I was hoping he would do - making a small writing table to sit at the west facing window in the dining room.  He couldn't promise when it would get done, but he said yes he could make me one.  I know that it will be desk I will cherish and happily use.  Something to look forward to,  I know that one day his truck will drive up and he will be carrying the desk. 

Emotionally, I am still feeling gut punched and dazed by the insurrection, by all that has brought us to this week.   I do have moments where I remember that the Georgia Run Off Election elected two Democrats.   Rev. Warnock and Jon Ossoff will truly serve their state and our country well as new Senators.  This is something to celebrate and honor the first black and Jewish men to be elected in the State to the Senate.  

Most of the day was spent, working on my laptop.  I have had desk work to do today, and have tried to stay at it and I am almost done.   I did take a Tai Chi break. Hope that this concentrated work will help me to sleep well tonight. 

On the family front I am a very proud Gramma.  I found out today that both Luke, in his first semester of college and Myah in her first semester as a Junior made their Dean's List.  Luke at UC-Irvine and Myah at Loyala University of Chicago.  They are both so proud and so am I.  

It has been a quiet day, my mind wondering in between trying to get my "paperwork" done.  I was remembering all the flurry of getting ready to move into my now so very loved home.  I felt connected as I thought about and still savoring the oh so fun New Year's Day Open House.  I cooked for days and days and days.  Over forty people came and it was a smashing success everyone had so much fun.  I had been so looking forward to the Second Annual New Year's Day Open House - and I have decided that whenever it can happen safely I will open my house and feed my friends and neighbors again.  

 I have not waited until an "open house" to cook food for my neighbors,  I have dropped off little treats every now and then and yesterday I dropped off chocolate cupcakes to my neighbors.  Still connecting by sharing food and appreciation. 

 It is getting towards the end of day that has been very quiet.  I am tired.  Too many people died today,  too many hospitals are overflowing,  too few vaccines got into arms today.   

But I am letting myself plan for a second Open House.  I am imagining time away.  I am ready to write the dates in my calendar when friends will come for a visit.  All of the questions, all the truths that unfolded this week, all still here.  But I have not lost my hope.   Be safe out there.  Be well.  Take Care.

Comments