Skip to main content

the long arc toward justice


 It has been a quiet day for me today.  I started my day with a cup of tea and Morning Edition.  I had come downstairs early this morning and the story that I caught my heart and stopped me from any other thoughts was listening to Rev. Dyson, who yesterday gave the sermon at Washington's National Cathedral.  As Steve Inskeep said in this story, Dyson did something that Martin Luther King Jr. had once done.  He imagined a letter that St. Paul might write to Americans if he lived today.  Rev. Dyson did not hold back:

 "American exceptionalism is really white supremacy on the sly. The man who founded your nation relished talk of God while holding Black flesh in chains. Many of those who say that God takes special pride in your nation seek to bless the blasphemy of white supremacy. The American church has sinned by portraying truth as white, facts as white, reality as white, beauty as white, normal as white, moral as white, righteousness as white, theology as white, Christ as white, God as white. And America as white."

 I listened, feeling the depths of this message given during this MLK Holiday weekend and in the last hours of trump's presidency.  Hours later the story was still rattling around in my head, it had landed in my heart and I went to the NPR website to read the story and read what I had heard earlier in the day.  Rev. Dyson Imagines How St. Paul Would Admonish The U.S. For Racism  It was on the last Sunday of his life the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr delivered his sermon in the pulpit of the National Cathedral,  he evoked the arc.  The arc of justice that is long, but bends towards justice.

I had a few things that had to get done.  I did them.  I went to the post office wanting to pick up a book that I know was delivered on Saturday.  Even though I knew it was a holiday,  I had "texted" with several people who either were or were not working, I still got in the car and was just sure I was going to walk into the post office.  I did not, it is a federal holiday.  Yes it is Martin Luther King Jr Holiday.  

I tried to chip away at the 1/2 + inch of frozen whatever on the porch and steps.  I was completely unsuccessful but I did put down my sand/salt mix and hope that I remain vigilant as I go in and out of the house.    

Later in the day I remembered a youtube video I posted on a friends facebook page last week.  It is hopeful, it is soulful, and it reminds me that there is this arc that bends towards justice.

I hope you will listen:


 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Comments