Skip to main content

What a Day

I started out the morning being moved by a quote that heard  from Jason Crow, a Democratic Representative from Colorado:

 "That is the thing about leadership, it is not about you."  

Meanwhile, my initial effort to make ice globes has been met with warmer temperature and my balloons are not even partially frozen yet.  I have to say I was just uplifted by the color of the balloons, the surety that the balloons will eventually partially freeze and maybe tomorrow morning will be the time when I break them and find my soon to be light ice globe.  

I then walked back into the porch and was struck by the rainbow colors that I have there in the midst of winter.  My very precious rainbow wind chime and outside the front door my rainbow flag flying proudly, colors waving in the midst of grey.   Besides the color I have these reminders of summer, rosemary still standing tall, my elephant watering can, and a very favorite pitcher from Italy.  So even on the grayest of days reminders of bright summer days.



 Even in mid January my screen porch (now with a protective covering) makes me happy.  Prayer flags waving, rainbow chimes waving and there at the end of the porch is the waving of my rainbow flag.  Noticing it all, a good start for yet another day that will live in history.

Donald Trump has been impeached for a second time.  We have less than 7 full days that he will be president.  It does seem that one week later much work in being done to assure that the inauguration of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris will happen safely, and there will be a transfer of power (we can only hope that it will be peaceful but that surely in not certain.)

I spent the day doing a number of things that had to be done today, and in between listening to the impeachment hearing.  How amazing that one week after domestic terrorists stormed the capitol, the president (who incited them all) has been impeached.  He will go down in history as the most mentally deranged, incompetent, and dangerous president this country has ever had.  

In the face of it all, I was happy that at 5 pm was our SAGE Happy Hour, which I co-host!  Sage Maine merged with Equality Maine  last year, and it has been a great merger.  Last year Ardis and I expressed a need for an informal time for folks to just be together, we have since last month meet two times a month on Wednesdays from 5-6.  Patrick often plays keyboard for us.  We share questions, stories and have been talking about ways to better get the people who sing with our keyboard player.  It is fun.  I like being with my LGBTQ community.  Everyone seems lighter, a little happier, and glad to have this time together.  We all recognize what it means to be threatened, how even as recent as Monday having rights taken away.  And we have gotten much better as a community in understanding our intersection with racial, gender and economic justice.  I am so glad that today was the day that we could get together.  I found myself saying the following at the end of our SAGE time together today:

"It is a beautiful and deeply responsive thing to understand that we are all in the boat together, and that we know and believe that the boat is big enough for us all".  "We are in this together, working for justice" .  

Yep,  it is beautiful to embrace diversity, to appreciate our differences as we understand that ways we are one.  Who knew "Happy Hour" could help me feel so hopeful.  

It is Wednesday, January 13th.  Donald Trump is has been impeached.  Again.


Comments