Skip to main content

Nut Gems and Candlelight

My house is filled with candles,  I have some fun round color bulbs of all different colors, and I have spent the evening, sitting quietly in the dark with my candle light!  Reading and rereading Just Delicate Needles, cherishing the light.  I am also baking, bringing cookies to work tomorrow and this year I am only making cookies that my Gramma and my Mother made -- tonight it was Winter Wedding Cakes, Date-Nut Rocks, and Nut Gems....my favorite are the gems,  My paper with recipe must be 35+ years old it has so many stains on it and it is time to share:

Nut Gems   2 1/2 Dozen

2 c. sifted flour
1 c. butter
4 T. powdered sugar
1 c. chopped nuts 
2 T. water
2 t. vanilla
powdered sugar

Cream butter (or oleo), add sugar gradually, cream until smooth.  Blend in flour.  Stir in nuts, water, flavor (vanilla).  Mix well.  Shape into 1" balls, bake on ungreased cookie sheet in oven 350*, 20 minutes or until golden brown (usually takes longer).  While still warm roll in powdered sugar.  

Enjoy - a great first day of winter treat!

Comments