Skip to main content

Readers

My grandchildren are both readers,  they are 6 and 8 years old, and they are still so amazed and proud and captivated by waht they can do: read, and the amazing stories and information they learn when they read.  They are reading chapter books and starting to move beyond the "readers" and just picking up a book and reading it!  We are reading the Narnia Chronicles.   They read to each other, and still love to have Mom, Dad, or Gramma read them a story.

I went to my local bookstore tonight to find some new books for my youngest reader!  I had already got bought books for the biggest of my readers - sitting in the kids room was a very big kid (almost teen!) her Mom works in the store, and as her Mom showed me some of the choices, she turned to her daughter and asked if she remembered the series.  At first she feigned disinterest, but as I started laying out the books, I asked her if she remembered a specific book --- she leapt out of her chair and started telling me things about the books, leafing through the pages.  She was delighted!  

Reading is such a joy and for many of us a priviledge --- so many children do not get a chance to read.  The literacy rate in our country is not what anyone would want.  Adult literacy groups are notoriously underfunded,  they don't only need money they need readers - they have great programs that help us to be successful volunteers.  Like kids, most schools need volunteers to read to classes or work 1:1 with kids to help them be successful readers.

Reading is still today one of the most satisfying and fulfilling activities that I do on a day to day basis.  I give books to an agency that brings the books to correctional facilities.  I like to think that in a small way I can help encourage and support a reader!

I love being able to share reading, share books, open doors, window, endless possibility to my grandchildren.  Glad that books are a part of this holiday season.

Comments