Skip to main content

You're Likable Enough Gay People

The New York Times in the opinion page ran a good article on Obama's choice of the Rev. Rick Warren to give the invocation at the most historical of inaugurations since the 1st one!  You're Likable Enough...by Frank Rich is reasoned and asks what many of us are,  why is Obama spending political capitol on this.  Isn't there another way to bring a group of people who don't see eye to eye to the table.  As a lesbian, a "gay" woman, who came to my understanding of being gay much more through my feminist political vantage points, than my understanding of gay history.  Of course that was 33+ years ago, and Harvey Milk is not a historical abstraction but a never forgotten hero,  as was Del Lyon.  I once went to a Daughters of Bilitis meeting, and felt like I was in the midst of courageous, tireless women who loved women, and I was.   

 The Reverend that suggest because I am a woman who loves women I am equal to and being a child abuser.  This is what the Reverend has says, and seems unlikely to have any type of conversion before January 21st.  Another example of how judgmental it can be from a very high up pulpit!  Right up there with the Catholic Pope --- who is equally hateful in his thoughts about saving me.  But the Pope didn't get invited to the the inauguration, Rick Warren did.  

So President Elect Obama, has fallen down a notch, has clay feet.  Hopefully he will get better in not being so glib.  Will understand the magnitude of his actions as the President.  I hope that change does mean change for gay and lesbian, and transgender, and bi-sexual people all across the United States.  Justice for all.  So as I celebrate this amazingly exciting and challenging time I hope all means all.

Comments