Skip to main content

Getting Ready to Retreat

I am going on retreat in 10 days.  It is a long weekend silent retreat with one of my most favorite sufi teachers.  People come from all over the midwest to meet on the shores of Lake Superior amid the ice and snow and the fire of our internal hearts burning.  I have been doing this retreat for many years, and it is like putting the most wonderful blanket around me as I ease into a different kind of atmosphere.  How great to be able to take the time and space to just focus on my breath, to practice practicing.  To notice.  To be silent.  To be in a circle of folks on a spiritual path.  I leave my knitting behind.  I do bring some colored pencils and journals and my mala beads.  I bring a few special, precious things for my altar, and I bring many shawls to help keep me warm.   I have noticed that I am starting to be more conscious in my steps, noticing a little more internally, all little steps that lead me to embracing the silence, and waiting for the symphony that will appear. 

Comments