Skip to main content

Happy Birthday Alice Walker

Alice Walker turned 65 today. I have known for a long time that Alice Walker represents for me, the wise crone woman. She emulates the love and ferocity of the mother. She reminds us of Mother Earth. I have for months had her book, "We are the Ones We Have Been Waiting For" at my bedside. Some nights I read only a paragraph, or read one sentence over and over. She demands one to participate to become the light in the darkness. Alice Walker says, " we are the ones we have been waiting for, because we live in an age in which we are able to see and understand our own predicament. With so much greater awareness than our ancestors - and with such capacity for insight, knowledge, and empathy - we are uniquely prepared to create positive change within ourselves and our world." This is a voice, a woman who inspires and prods, and shows me a vision where I can participate fully. That my own ability to think and reason and meditate and listen and speak out. When I started this blog, it was in part to be able to exercise to trust my own voice. To say what I feel I need to say, about my own internal map and about those injustices I feel and see. Happy Birthday Alice Walker, thank you for your wisdom, your voice, your words, your love and your light.

Comments