Skip to main content

Poetry of Hafiz

I have for the past decade or so always had a one of more books of poetry by Hafiz close at hand. I love the wildness of the poetry, one of the allures for me of sufism - was ecstasy. Ecstasy, a state of exalted delight, joy, intense emotion of any kind. I had in my life experienced ecstasy (not the trued) the true amazing feelings of joy, the intense feeling of being delighted and read and whole and in the world. The poetry of Hafiz reflects for me ecstasy in almost every poem, every word. Tonight I just opened up "The Gift" Poems by Hafiz The Great Sufi Master, translated by Daniel Ladinsky. I opened to "Let Thought Become Your Beautiful Lover" (pretty funny after my little hissy fit last week of not having the appropriate valentine!)...how could I not share:

Let Thought Become Your Beautiful Lover

Let thought become the beautiful Woman.
Cultivate your mind and heart to that depth

That it can give you everything
A warm body can.

Why just keep making love with God's Child ---
Form
When the Friend herself is standing
Before us
So open armed?

My dear
Let prayer become your beautiful Lover

And become free,
Become free of this whole world
Like Hafiz.

- - - -

An ancient vision of we are what we think...
ishq allah ma bud lalah
God is love, lover, beloved.

Comments