Skip to main content

Four Years Ago Today...Making a New Home

2017 head shot of me bundled up and snow everywhere

I had started out on the 9th of February from Minneapolis.  The car was loaded and the weather reports were good.  Although what was looming for me when I finally made it east was the prediction of one "wicked" Nor'easter!  I had made it to Hartford, CT on the 10th.  The storm was looming, there was almost no one at the hotel.  I took a good soak, fell into bed and by 6 a.m.  I was in my car,  fruit, tea and few kind bars and I was ready to hit the road.  

I was so committed to beat out this storm which was sounding more impending and harrowing by the moment.  

I was driving to Millinocket.  I was on my way for my first day of being a full time resident of Maine.  I almost said "full-time Mainer" but understanding that I will always be a "new local"  I landed on resident.  

I didn't stop until I got to the first rest area in Maine.  I stumbled into the building - did a few stretches, got a few more reinforcements and headed north.   I was excited.  I was driven.   I knew that I was just a little bit ahead of the storm.   I wanted nothing more than to drive into the garage at 466 Aroostook Avenue in Millinocket.  The Hamm's (next door neighbor's) had gone next door and turned up the heat so the house would be cozy and warm upon my arrival.  

I drove up a little after 1 pm.  I got help unloading the things that needed to get out of car.  I went to Hannaford grocery and then hunkered down at home.  

I did not leave my street for three days,  the snow came and then came some more and more.  It was quite a storm.  Welcome to Maine.

It is hard to believe that it is already four years that I moved from Minnesota.  Today I am once again hunkered down.  No snow, but it is cold.  I did stop at the grocery today and the post office.  I have managed to move even further north and have just past the two year mark of living in my little cabin home in Patten, ME.  

I am so grateful to all of those that opened up your homes,  your experiences, your stories.  I am still excited to be volunteering at Millinocket Memorial Library and being a VIP with the National Park Service.   I miss sitting with the Diversified Dames each month talking about the book of the month.  

A big thanks to the "Deb's" for asking if I would like a "get-away" in Millinocket.  In 2014 after Gail Fanjoy had found the lovely house, both Debbie in CA and MA in MN said yes sight unseen.  Debbie B.  had already been to the Katahdin Region and fallen in love.  Me I had never even heard of Katahdin or Millinocket.   I had spent time in Eastport and on the coast, but never ventured off the coast.  I said yes, with the idea that when I retired I would come to Millinocket.  I did and I am very glad that I just said YES.

So today as I zoomed with other folks in the region, I felt the gratitude of being here in this place.  This special place honored and the home for thousands of years of people from the Penobscot nation.  This place that has beauty and scars.  Possibility and grief.  Poverty and a richness that cannot be bought or sold.  

Four years later I still have the curiosity and  excitement about being here and what is next.  There have been many moments in this past year that I doubted about being here in the time of covid isolation and restrictions.  Despite the doubts I always find myself being glad to be here.  

Four years and I am ready for many more.   It is Thursday, it is a New Moon.  Auspicious time for an anniversary.  I am warm.  I am grateful.  I'll take that for today.

Comments