Skip to main content

They Call Them Sparks.....

kick sleds parked out side of tavern in Norway
 

While volunteering at Patten's Covid Vaccine Site earlier this month,  I got to talking with one of the nurses and somehow he and I got on the subject of my new kick sled.  He got excited, he knew about kick sleds and shared that when him and his partner were in Norway he saw them everywhere.  He talked about going to a tavern in the little town and parked outside everyone's "spark" !  He sent me a couple of pictures and the next day he texted that he had ordered two kicksleds from Ely Bike and Kick Sled, maybe we will have kick sleds parked in front of the new micro brewery that will be opening later this year....so next winter we can hop on our sparks and kick on over.


Tomorrow I am going out to Mt. Chase Lodge and will bring my "spark" - the sun is supposed to be shining bright.  There are groomed and packed trails and I am ready to go.  

So I have been learning about kick sleds and in no importance here are a few random "spark" facts:

     Kicksleds were first used in Scandanavian countries in the late 19th Century.

     Kick translates to "spark" in Swedish and Norwegian.

     To steer the kicksled, you can simply shift your weight from side to side.

      A kicksled can act as a great trail-walker-turned-extreme-adventure. 

     Snow-packed driveways, trails and sledding hills can all be great spots to try kicksledding!
 

I hope to have some pictures and a few stories after my time in Shin Pond and maybe the North End of the Monument.
 
I have enjoyed kicking around town as they have not put down lots of sand, so I can still get around...might get a little more snow tonight.  Perfect for kicking.


Comments