Skip to main content

Warmest day this year!



Thermometer on my side porch


 I have had the most pleasurable day,  it was one of those days that I could just find and go with my own rhythms.  I woke up early with sun streaming onto my bedroom window.  After a few moments watching the sunbeams I fell back to sleep.   

I like that "fall back asleep" morning time.  I woke up and the sun was even brighter.  I came downstairs, made a pot of tea, listened to NPR and looked through the NY Times.  I decided to make my favorite winter porridge, wild rice, dried fruits and nuts, with a little maple syrup and whatever kind of milk you like. 


This is my bowl of fruit and nuts that I will put in with the cooked wild rice. 

This winter I have found a very easy way to cook my wild rice.  I put in even more water than you need,  cook the rice for about 45 minutes and drain off the excess water.  No measuring, no fuss and wonderful wild rice  

I did not take a picture of my finished bowl, but it was good.  All of this happened in a slow and steady way.  Lots of mental interruptions as I made my way through the morning.

I turned on Jonathan Capeheart, who has become my favorite weekend broadcaster, and listened while I cleaned up the kitchen and started a load of laundry.  All the while I was enjoying the big big sun. 

My snow guy came, and I realized that I had left both shovels in the garage forgetting to bring one back to the porch.  So I decided I would wait and shovel later in the afternoon.   

I found that I had little appetite for the news today, and decided to finish my latest collage board.  

I have been making these boards for the last couple of years, taking my treasures, mementos, collectibles and other things that I have brought home since moving to Maine and mix them up with all of those same kind of things that I brought with me from Minnesota.   I had before moving here been making altered books, and other little paper and 3D collages.  I was inspired by all the things in the Aroostook Avenue basement (nothing thrown out and lots of pieces of wood).  Why not put those found and collected things on those boards.  I think the latest one is done.  A Sunday, fun day completion.  


As morning moved to afternoon I tuned into women's basketball, these are the last days of the regular season.  March Madness will begin soon.  There is so much parity in the league this year.  For the second year in a row there will be no regional or final four appearances for me. Women's basketball both college and WNBA I am a unabashedly huge fan of the women's game, and had planned to go to SanAntonio for the
Final Four this year, and maybe to one of the Regional sites.  The tournament will happen this year in a "bubble like" format in San Antonio all the teams will play on neutral sites In and near San Antonio.  Based on the games today and this season, it is going to be a wild tournament - March Madness for sure.  

 I timed, snow shoveling with half time.  Snow has been moved.  Front and back doors are cleared out.  The front porch was almost warm enough to sit out there, but will wait for the next warm day to try it out.   

And now, as the afternoon is beginning to turn into evening the sun is still bright.  Clothes are washed and folded.  Luke's birthday surprise has been ordered and is on the way.  I have  a few things organized for meetings that I have on Monday, Tuesday AND Wednesday.   I am still watching/listening to basketball.  What a good day.    

It is Sunday.  The last day of February.  March Madness starts tomorrow.   I am ready.



 

 

Comments