Skip to main content

Laundry, learning and more snow!

 

Masks Drying on Rack

It has been a long day.  Snow started again in the night and I wine to the now familiar sound of snow sliding down the metal roof,  I still remember the first time I heard this on Aroostook Avenue!  I thought the house was falling apart.  It was not. There are still little sounds of the metal roof that throw me off guard but mostly it has become a part of my winter landscape.

This morning was Session One of a four part training with Wabanaki Reach on Decolonizing Conservation Communities - I will write more later but for right now:  powerful, necessary, uncomfortable and timely!  It is so hopeful to be a part of this desire to learn, to do our work in understanding our historical and current colonizing actions.

How many times, how many ways do we need to reminded of the horrendous damage of making any person or group of peoples less than, to dehumanize another living human being.  His to take this weight and move to action to reconciliation- first truth, then healing, then reconciliation.  I felt the uncomfortable weight all afternoon as I moved snow, picked up the mail and made my supper.  

Oh and I got to put away the masks and liners that dried overnight.  A year ago I was days away from getting on a plane.  I didn’t even have a mask.  Here we are I have a mask for everyday plus some more.  

Another heavy weight, 500,000.  I am lighting my own candle tonight.  Hoping for the emergence of our better selves.



Comments