Skip to main content

I Am Not Throwing Away My Shot or My Kicksled!

 

Wow, what a twenty-four hours.  Just as I was putting my kicksled into the car to take a drive out to Mt. Chase Lodge my phone rang.  Penobscot Valley Hospital - yah - this might be about getting the vaccine.  So I answered the phone, went and sat in the car and listened as the woman asked if I was still interested in getting the vaccine?  YES.... she says can you come in for a shot tomorrow?  YES   So after all my kvetching, my vaccine envy,  my feeling badly that I wasn't being as enthusiastic as I could be about others getting their shots,  I had my first appointment:  February 4th  10:10 a.m. 

I loved Hamilton,  I love that "My Shot"  is being used to promote getting the vaccine.  I was singing it out loud driving to and from my appointment.   I am fine,  no side effects as of now.  My arm feels good.  My spirits are good.

Paperwork at Hospital Registering for Shot
 

Yesterday,  just that thought that I was actually getting my shot just lifted me up.  I felt buoyant as I started the car and headed out to Shin Pond.   I was trying to time my arrival with Walter and Annie getting up from their naps so they could see the sled.   Annie and Lindsey were up and at the window when I walked into the lodge,   Walter was still sleeping.  So off I went for my first real try.   I had tried to use the sled in town, but there was too much sand and slush (it was about 35 degrees), but now on their road into the lodge much better, if not nearly the best conditions.


I had a good time, very slowly kicking my way up and down the road.  Trying to find a little bit of a rhythm and stopping to enjoy the woods and water all around me.  I had my ice grippers on and when I took them off I had much more of a glide.  I can see that I am going to learn more about body mechanics.  What I do know it is fun.  And I spent good time outdoors, in the woods, and that was one of the biggest reasons that I bought this beautiful blue kick sled.

By the time I got back to the lodge Lindsey was walking out with Walter and Annie, and "mimi"  Sara was on her way over to check out the sled.   Walter was somewhat interested, but his Dad had just built a big snow fort and Walter was walking on the trail and exploring from his up high perch.  Mike was finishing up one section of plowing and was getting into the action as well.  Bringing more snow to fort and making steps and a "throne".
 

 

Annie was totally interested in the sled and was happy to have a seat or to push the sled itself.  Mike took a quick spin,  Lindsey took a spin,  Sara took a spin, even Annie took a spin.   It was a fun afternoon,  good times had by all, and I will be taking my sled out again soon.  Maybe tomorrow, for sure on the weekend!   





 
Winter fun at Mt. Chase Lodge.  I am going to spend a night or two out there week after next.  More fun with outdoors.  Enjoy Mike's great cooking.  Play time with the kids!  I will leave you with Annie trying out the kicksled. 







Comments