Skip to main content

The "twenty-two hour" Get Away!

 

Room With A View

I have been thinking about a little get away to Mt. Chase Lodge for awhile now.  They spent the early part of winter completely remodeling their rooms in the lodge and they were just recently finished.  I wanted to go and after needing to change my overnight two times I finally landed on yesterday.  A Sunday, not too cold, sunshine predicted and Mike was cooking.

I loaded up the car,  overnight bag, books, journal, and kick sled.  The sun was shining brightly,  the mountain was majestic and there was no wind.

Lindsey was great,  gave me my breakfast card to fill out and the keys to South Branch!  


 Off I went, I kicked the biggest speed I have done yet, and I also walked the sled where I needed to on trails through the woods.  I stopped everyone once in awhile to just stop for a moment of a sun bath.  I like those February sunbaths the best.  The  bright sun spilling over my face.  The snow packed and hard good for my blades to slide through.

Spent a few hours out side and then came in and had a hot hot shower.  I was making the most of my little time away.  I put the rocker by the southeast facing window, looking out over the "pond".  

No journal, no book opened, only me and the lowering sun.  I caught myself hoping that some animal might step out into the open, but none that I saw.  It didn't matter.  I just enjoyed the time, the being away. The beauty all around me.

Then supper, someone else cooking a very good supper.  MCL has instituted a new way to serve meals to their guests.  They pack up food and put in the thermal pack.  You can take your meal back to your room or sit at a table.   There was no one else eating in at the lodge so I got to enjoy the fire, enjoy my meal.  

A quiet rest of the evening and then I woke up early and was rewarded with a beautiful sunrise.

Breakfast was brought out to my table.  Two meals in a row that I did not cook!

I got to spend time with Walter and Annie.  It melts my heart every time that Walter says, "hi MaryAlice".  It always seems like a big name for a little person, but he seems quite pleased with himself, and I sure do give lots of reinforcement.

I enjoyed sitting by the fire.  I took a quick spin on the sled.  Loaded up headed for home.  Happy and content.

I came home feeling the weight of 500,000 people in the United states who have died from Covid.  I was moved by President Biden's speech and the sad commemoration of this somber milestone.  I have had for weeks before President Biden was sworn felt the profound absence of no national mourning, no acknowledgment of lives lived and lost.  That has changed. 

In ten days I get my second vaccine shot.  It is a relief.  For today I am grateful for my being able to take a little almost at home (but not quite) short stay away.  I soaked in my day of almost warmth and sunshine.  The next snow storm and winter warning started just a short time after my car was back in the garage and all of my stuff back in the house.

In one month Spring will officially be here.  The light continue to grow each day moving towards the balance of light and dark. It is Monday. We remember those we loss, bless them, their families and take good care.  Enjoy the beauty and sound. 





 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Beautiful writing. So calming. I felt like I was there, alone, enjoying the wonders.
babbierackow said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.