Skip to main content

Bonus Time: Saturday in the Monument!


I know that I thought I might take a "blog break" on weekends, but today on the spur of the moment I contacted our KWW volunteer coordinator and decided to go a "loop road tour".  It is was a great June day, warm, sunny and crystal clear.  I have been hankering to see the "mountain range"  and inside the monument is one of the best places to view the entire range and see Katahdin in all of her glory!  I took off at noon,  stopped by our contact center and picked up maps, supplies and headed off!  

I went down the "Grindstone Road"  also known as Rt. 11 or the Scenic Byway.  I love driving along the East Branch of the Penobscot River, and today was no exception.  There wasn't much traffic so I could slow down and take in the beauty and get good looks at the river.  I takes awhile just to get off of the "byway" and onto to the logging road that takes you into the Monument and the 15 mile "loop road" .

You get fun glimpses along the way! 


 Doing the loop tour is a bit of handyman,  clean up crew and ambassador.  You make sure that the outhouses are all clean,  no garbage, signage is good,  remove any natural debris etc from the road, and welcome and respond to visitors in the monument.  

First stop is Sandy Bank,  there was one camper, three tents, 4 parked cars and a van and car that pulled in while I was there!  The van was full of "birders"  Audobon Society Manie branch members (8 of them) had driven up from Bangor, and had been birding all morning.  They had met other birders and all were very very happy!  I then met some "geocachers"  they are Mainers and they spend the winters in the Pacific Northwest and had just got some "caching" listed in the monument,  they were going to get in charge of whoever does the listing because they were surprised because most National Parks and Monuments do not allow geocaching listings.  They were passionate and having a great time!

I did my chores and headed on, next stop would be the once I was on the loop road!  Met several cars and trucks as I drove along, and I pulled over to take a walk into Lynx Pond.



Next stop was the scenic overlook, there were no cars, but the view was amazing.  I took a little video at the overloop but somehow I can't get it to download on the blog, but here are a few pics from the overlook:


Then off to complete the rest of the 15 mile loop!  Here are a few other vantage points.  I stopped and straightened out some signs, wondered if the moose are using them as back scratches. 


I had fine time, stopped and looked,  had a few places where I got out and walked awhile, and then headed back out.  I sat at one of the picnic benches and drank some of the ice tea I brewed earlier in the day and ate some nuts and dried fruit.  Watching the mountain range, enjoying the clouds floating by and admiring the crystal clear light.

I headed back out.  Called and checked in so folks would know that I had not only made it into the monument but made it safely out, and no problems to report!

Then headed towards Patten.  There is an outlook on Hwy. 11 and I took my last pics of the day there.

It was a good day.  I enjoy being an ambassador for our National Monument.  I love that visitors love it.  A fun Saturday.  

Tomorrow I get back in the car and head to Belfast and the Mid-coast.  A little ocean time!  Seafood!  A little shopping and an overnight at the Night Fall Inn.  Saturday was fun,  Sunday even better.  Good times in Maine. 


Comments