Skip to main content

Thursday Tilts from Tranquility to ...

I woke this morning with full throttle rain on the metal roof.  The rain came and came, it is such a welcomed sound.  I love the rain and how it sounds on our oh so sturdy roof!  I had a morning planned that fit beautifully with a rainy day.  The temperature had dropped and the rain went from pouring to just a mild little patter as the morning moved forward.  

I made a pot of tea and got out my paperwork,  my note cards, and  envelopes and spent a good part of the morning paying bills,  making needed business related phone calls, and writing cards and letter to friends and family that felt long overdue.  

The rain continued and it felt so satisfying to just one after one get a letter written, a card addressed, a bill paid, and checks mailed to the bank!

It was also a good morning to do a little cooking and I brought up the 'instant pot" and made some stew.  It tasted really good and after it was done I packed up a container for our "Island Fellow" at the library and went to the post office and the library!  Mailed letter, dropped off the soup, found a good novel to read and went back home.

Back at home I put up the ironing board (I know I may be one of the very few who still iron!) and got my entire pile of "to be ironed" finished.  I spent a little time reading and eating my just made stew and then it was time to go off to the Millinocket Town Council meeting where it was the final time to comment on proposed budget changes.  The library was asking for an increase in the amount of money that the budget would allocate for operating costs for the library!  A few of us went and stayed for the entire meeting.  It was long and painful at times.  It is difficult to do a municipal budget anywhere, but for a town that has seen no new revenues and revenue decreases it is painful.  However, if one does invest in the future the future will only be bleaker.   In the end the requested amount remained in the budget!  The final vote will be June 28th, just days before the beginning of the new budget year.

It was good to be there.  It is fascinating to be a new resident and to see the face of the past and the future all mixing in the council members. I like being there with other volunteers and backers of the library!  It was a long night and when done, i went down to Turn the Page.  Time for a beer and they had a great Lobster Bisque!  Fun time checking in with folks there and having a good micro brew from Maine, and some really good bisque.  

Life in Millinocket on Thursday!  Tomorrow is my first day back at the Katahdin Woods and Water National Monument Contact Center in Millinocket!  I get to put on my little VIP uniform and off I go to help the folks that stop into our office.

I have been back less than two weeks, and I am sure getting back into my own rhythms of home in Millinocket!  Glad to be back, glad to have a rainy day, glad that Thursday was full of doing the things that I needed and wanted to do.  Good Day, good Thursday.



Comments