Skip to main content

Wow Wednesday Was Wild!

It is the fourth day of cool weather,  the coolest weather I have been in since I left Maine in March!  But it is slowly warming back up,  there was a little blue in the sky, and the sun peaked out just a little bit. 

I have been on a little bit of a roll since my return on Saturday.  I am happy to say that today, Thursday,  I don't have to leave the house.  I may search out some veggies and might go to a program at the library!  But neither of these things have to happen.  I slept in late and am having a slow easy morning.  Listening to Annie Lennox, and enjoying my cup of tea. 

There are many things about returning to home.  My own bed,  all of the "things" around me that are familiar and each have a story as they "made the cut" and were sent here from Minnesota.  A favorite wooden spoon, bowl, and skillet! 

What I cherish and have noticed the most, is the warm welcome I have gotten each day this week.  What a difference a year makes!  I have been greeted with smiles, big hellos, and even hugs.  People have stories to tell and want to know how my time away was for me.  I may be "from away" but I have found a place here.  I remember walking around town and no one greeted me in any way,  Now,  there are at the least smiles and my neighbors stop to talk.  It feels good, and I am glad to see them to reconnect, to share a moment.

Yesterday was another afternoon at the library.  Interviewing people who want to volunteer.  How fun!  I love the way people gravitate to the library, what they do when they are there, and why they want to volunteer! 

I took a nap before going out to an meeting with Natural Resources Council of Maine.  I like naps and I have not been making time for them as regularly as I did before I started my spring sojourn.  Sometimes they are short, 15-20 minutes and I hop right out of bed, sometimes they are much longer and I wake more slowly and restart my day.  Sometimes I just lay down for awhile and read with no sleep at all.  I like that time out during the day, and yesterday was a deep, full sleep and I woke refreshed and ready to go.  Which was good because I had somewhere to go!

The NRCM meeting focused on updates about the Katahdin Woods and Water National Monument
it was fun to see Tim (our park director) - we had emailed and talked on the phone but nothing replaces seeing him with his handlebar mustache and his big smile, looking like he just walked out of the woods after a long haul!  It is very special to be able to be a part of this new gem in the National Park Service.  I love being a VIP (volunteer in the park) and next week I will start my shifts at the visitor contact center in Millinocket!  But at the meeting we got updates about our signage - the dumbo governor of Maine would not allow KWW signs to be put up on the state highways and interstate (even though the cost would be covered!) - the dumb gov who is on his way out, does not like the Monument so he was vindictive and said NO SIGNS! Good News!  We are getting signs and we saw "mock ups" and it will be so good to help people find there way.  After Tim gave his updates that left me smiling and glad that he was there, we went onto more serious business.

The Maine Land Use Planning Commission is planning to change the current "Adjacency" principle used for development.  I won't bore you, but the changes are not good.  They are especially not good for the Katahdin Region and would very negatively impact the local municipalities.  The proposed rule changes would effect over two million acres, thousands of lakes, and people and wildlife that live in and around these "unorganized territories".    We are talking about not only rural but frontier designations almost exclusively in the northern and western part of the state.  It was a good meeting although sobering.  I left with a to do list and really good information!

Life in Maine.  People who I did not know a year ago are now smiling a good day.  Thursday and I am not on the road.

Comments