Skip to main content

Sunday "Day of Rest" in Millinocket

Prayer Flags on Porch




Sunday was such a good full day back in Millinocket that I did not even have a moment to do my blog.  So it was a blogging day of rest, but not so much for other activities of the day. 

I started Sunday slowly, watched a little Sunday morning television, had tea, made from my pot, and drank from my favorite cup.  What a simple pleasure to love the look and feel of a cup that holds my favorite tea.  I slowly unpacked a few things.  Then went to the basement, where I found my all assembled portable clothes closet!  It is a great buy and I moved it over to the place where I will put my winter clothes that are hanging in the bedroom closet.  I was so happy that it is sturdy and large enough and that someone else put all the pieces together, thank you Debbie Ball. 

Then time for breakfast,  walked down to AT (Appalachian Trail) Cafe, saw a number of neighbors on the way, and people were happy and waving and enjoying the sun, the warmth and the gentle breeze that kept all black flies away!    Saw Paul as I was walking into the Cafe, he was pulling up.  Jaime (Jaime and Paul own the AT Cafe, and AT Lodging - a hostel for hikers) was cooking in the back, but came out to give and get a big hug.  Promised she would stop by after work!   Had good breakfast then walked a few doors down to stop into the Visitor Contact Center for Kathadin Woods and Water.  Jesse (from Los Angeles) is one of the two new summer positions.  We have funding for 3 but have been unable to find a third person, know someone who loves the outdoors, wants to summer in Maine and make good money.  Learn about the park service...you get the picture.  Check out KWW - National Park Service website!   Jesse is very happy, he is living in Stacyville, is earnest and I am going to enjoy getting to know him.  Will meet the other new staff soon.

Last stop Wood and Water to get a bottle (or 2) of wine for Jaime and I! Each stop seeing people who in this past year have become my friends, and seeing faces that are familiar even if I don't really know who they are.  So with packages in tow back to the house I went.

Then back to the house,  went through mail while watching a little of the French Open.  There were a few other things that needed my attention, and one was the car.  The car was totally so very muddy!  So I pulled it out of the garage,  hooked up the hose, and washed it.  I can't really remember that last time I washed ta car, but it was a long time ago.  The sun felt hot,  the car looked lots better and I discovered that my plates had expired in February!  I tried to remember getting a renewal notification.  I hadn't seen anything in the mail that Jan had sent or what I had just finished going through.  Rick came outside and I asked him about tags.  Yep,  you don't get a notice.  You go down to town hall and pay the "excise tax" and they give you tags, and then you go get the car inspected.  Who knew?  Not me.   That is a today (Monday morning) task. 

Car washed,  new information processed and Jaime arrives!  How fun,  wine, cheese, lots of laughter and sharing and acknowledging how fun to be back in the same place.  Jaime and Paul left in November, I left in March so it has been close to 6 months since we were both in Millinocket. 

And as if the day hadn't been delightful enough,  the Fanjoy's  invited me over for Sunday supper!  Oh my,  the Fajoy's, the Moscone's and fresh lobster Alfredo with a wonderful salad!  I brought a little dessert, chocolates bought on Saturday in NY.  Lovely evening, amazingly good food,  so fun to hear the quirky Maine accent as stories that have been told for decades got told again. 

Perfect 1st full day back home.  It is home. 

And now I am off to make my car legal!

Happy Monday. 

Comments