Skip to main content

DID JESUS HAVE A BABY SISTER

I started this day, Christmas Day with Dory Previn, last night as I was getting ready to sleep I began singing, "Did Jesus Have a Baby Sister" and this morning the song was still with me so I decided I would listen and I hope you have a listen take a moment and listen.  It is not the typical choice either the song or the songwriter for this holiday moment, Dory Previn did not sing sweet feel good songs, she was dark, and she gave those things that we don't want to think about a song and a voice.  I reread her obituary in the New York Times after listening to this and it brought me back around to what promise was birthed on this mythical day.  The promise to feed to hungry, to wash the feet of poor, to live without judgement, to enfold those who are pushed away and kept out and to stand for justice.   All this from a rather, what I thought, of a lighthearted feminist moment of wanting to think about the feminine the baby sister.  I am sure that when holding a new baby on Christmas Eve without the thought really grabbing hold somehow that song, that message came to me as I was about to fall asleep.  

The house is now quiet.  No Dory Previn, no Christmas chorale music.  Just the tapping on the keyboard and the furnace fan as it shuts on and off.  I am holding my family - who are probably just waking up and enjoying unwrapping their presents and spending this time together.  I am thinking of my friends far and wide and so grateful for all the ways that we can connect.  I am happily amazed at my circle of friends in my little town of Patten, and the friends from Millinocket and surrounds who have become a part of my Maine life.   I am especially thankful for my Bangor and MIdcoast friends from SAGE as an old not coupled lesbian having a LGBTQ community is so important to me and I am so glad for the times that we get to have together.  I have a new little community of the UU Church of Houlton and I wish that everyone could find a place to be so welcomed and affirmed.  

In this silence and the bright sunlight against a not blue sky I wish us all well.  May the year bring out the best in us all and give us the strength to act from love and care.   

For the rest of this day who knows what other moments will unfold.  I am introducing my friend David to  the Jewish, Lesbian, Pagan Christmas traditions of my past - visiting a few lesbian friends,  having chinese lunch and going to the movies to see Little Women  (take a peek).  

May your day be all that you could hope for.  

Comments