Skip to main content

No Snow Yet!

It's Monday, not that anyone knows what day it is right now!  By next week at this time it  will be a new year and no more middle of the week holidays until next December (4th of July is on a Saturday this year).  

Winter storm warning is in effect, but the snow has not started and the forecast varies wildly!  Maybe 4", maybe 10" it will start snowing after midnight here and if forecast to snow all day and into the night tomorrow - Happy New Year's - good thing I am having New Year's Eve right here in my little house!  

I had a baking disaster this afternoon.   I was making a pineapple upside down cake for New Year's Day --- and was singing and enjoying myself in the kitchen -- brought out all the ingredients and got the cast iron skillet ready, made the batter and popped it in the oven.  Then as I was putting ingredients away I looked at the baking powder tin, only it wasn't baking powder, it was cornstarch....the cornstarch cake was already in the oven...no changing courses now.  Out it came looking rather flat, but not exactly a disaster, that is until I tried to get it out of the pan...corn starch stuck.  So now I have a plastic container of the shambles of the cake, I couldn't bring myself to throw it away, but I think I might derive some pleasure in doing it tomorrow.  

It was with great trepidation but fortitude that I went on to make the Greek Lemon Cake,  it is now in the oven.  I checked all ingredients twice.  It looked good.  So here's hoping that this cake prevails.  I am done cooking for the day.   The black eyed peas are cooked.  I have the house rearranged for company.  Tomorrow I am going to enjoy the last day of this year.  My life has had many changes in this last decade.  Many of them good.  I am thankful.  I have kept the outer world a little bit at bay during these past weeks and I might do that just a little longer.  Then it will be back to "resist".  More about resistance later, for now I am so enjoying the quiet of this not yet snowy winter night.

Comments

C. Archer said…
My Mom would always remind me to eat my black eyed peas on New Years Day. Sweet memory. :)