Skip to main content

The Longest Night - Celebrating by Light

Today was such a lovely day.  The sun was shining, the temperature a little warmer.  I did a few things that had to be done then read and listened to chorale music all morning and into the afternoon.  

Mid-afternoon I picked up my friend David and off we went to Houlton to check out the new bar that opened up and to go to the Solstice Celebration at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Houlton.   

The Bastions Tavern recently opened and we wanted to check them out and to support this new business right in the historic section of the downtown.  There were quite a lot of people there and of course there was a "Patriots" football game on so people were having quite the time cheering on the hometown team!  People love their "pats" here.   Then off we went to Military Street where the Church and the "Cup Cafe" are located.  There was a drumming circle before the Solstice ceremony, and people gathered bringing in their drums and food to share.  It is quite a little community that I have found for myself and it is even nicer that I have a Patten buddy who often wants to go with me to services and other events at the church.  It has been awhile since I sat in a drumming circle and I was quite happy to be mesmerized by the beat and to swing and sway with the sounds-I picked up the rattle and later as we were getting close to the end of the circle they asked if I would play the cymbal - how fun to make such big noises and small vibrations.  What a way to be in the dark,  all these very different people drumming together no scripts or scores just rhythm and sound.  

When the circle ended we all went upstairs where a beautiful table filled with candles was waiting,  The fireplace was burning and the room filled with people young children, old folks, those in between, many of them had been to this celebration in the past, everyone was welcoming and soon the directions were called and the ceremony began.
The table was filled with candles.  Each one of us lit a candle and made an intention for the year.  The room was ablaze and my heart was so full.  What a lovely way to be together.  What a fine way to mark this day to be in the night, to sit with others in candlelight.  Being in the light, listening to each other getting ready for a new year a new season. Going into the darkness and honoring the light.  We each were told to bring our candle home and to remember our intention as we lit it at home.  I had already put out candles and lit them before I had left today, my own little ritual to mark the solstice and now there is one more candle on the table, bringing light and hope and so much more.  I am so grateful to be welcomed, to be well, to be a part of marking this day as peoples have probably done since  there were people.  Now I am ready to tuck in for this long long night.  Sweet dreams.  Blessed Be.

Comments