Skip to main content

Endings and Beginnings


The day has felt like I was inside  a big, warm snow globe!  At times it was just swirling every which way and it was so very fluffy and light.  A good amount of snow has fallen maybe 8" or more, maybe a little less.  I have made several passes clearing the back porch and stairs and making a pathway to the garage door.  I could almost wipe it away with my hand, it made for an easier job clearing my way.  

I have spent another day cooking, preparing, thinking about opening up my house on New Year's Day.   "Love People, cook them tasty food" is one of my favorite bumper stickers from Penzey's, my most favorite spice store with fabulous political leanings - and they don't mind letting you know!   So today as I was cooking I was remembering the people here and gone who I have cooked for and with, the simple act of carrying out the food together, the laughter and good stories shared along with a meal.  Little memories slipped in and out as I whipped, chopped, washed, and cleaned up in my kitchen.  

There are  a couple great windows in my kitchen (one I had put in this summer), there are beautiful trees and a feeling a enclosure and expansiveness - yes both of those at the same time.  Looking out the window over the sink is a little meditation, a glance that evokes a deep breath.  I can feel the beauty throughout my body.  A great window and effect when on a day like today I have lost track of how many cleanups I have done to stay ahead of the kitchen becoming a disaster zone.  

I am done cooking for today.  I might do a little chopping or not.  For right now I am happy just being here now.  What a joy, what a gift to just Be Here Now.  Not always my story, not always how it has felt at the end of a day, end of a year.  I am acutely aware that this feeling of contentment,  of being in the world in my very own crone way,  of being alive is a gift.  I am so grateful to be noticing, to be present.   Today I carry the endings and the beginnings.  With it all I am happily right here, right in the now.   Happy New Year. 

Comments