Skip to main content

Making "Belly Buttons"



Today was making ravioli day.  I have been cooking chicken stock on the stove for two days, it is getting better and better and tasting richer with each step in the process.  This morning I brought the beautiful cooper pot in from the porch and put in on the stove to simmer again.  Then I got everything cleaned up for and ready to make the ravioli.   My Gramma made ravioli (my Mom did too) and my Gramma was able to have the time and space to let me help and be at her side.  It was magical cooking.  Making the dough, kneading it and then rolling out so very thin.  The fun part was making each ravioli - they really were more like tortellini than a ravioli - and to me they looked just like belly buttons.  We laughed and made up stories as we transformed that square into just the right "belly button".  I still conjure up that joy and love today.  I made three big trays and they are now tightly wrapped up on the auxiliary frig aka the side porch.   
I did my shopping and made my to do lists all in anticipation of having so many friends stop in on New Year's Day....I have opened up my face on other years and I am very happy to be able to have people come by and be with each other as we say hello to a new year and a new decade.    Tonight I am finishing up a little sweater that I am knitting for my great niece Vivienne and enjoying the lights of the last night of Hanukkah.  It is really happening, we are almost at the end of this year.  And I am almost at the end of my day.   
 

Comments