Skip to main content

Glimpses of my day!




What a lovely day.  I woke up a little later than usual (the reality is I am not really certain what usual is anymore - it used to be early but wow I can wake anywhere from 5 a.m. to 10 a.m. and that seems improbable and certainly not my old you can set a clock by the time I get up) and came downstairs,  it was slow going. The sun was shining, the sky a beautiful blue and just a little bit of snow.   I have been listening to Christmas music all day long some chorale, then jazz, and now a mix of traditional carols and old standbys.  

My grandparents, Mary and Ray, were married on Christmas Eve so as a little girl there was this mix of the holiday and a little bit of extra love that happened as my Grandparents shared their special day with children and grandchildren.  I remember my Gramma is a very special dress with a holiday apron - they would have music playing some of the same songs that I listened to today.  My Grampa loved oyster stew and Gramma made it every Christmas Eve.  No one else ate very much and I think he delighted in having as many bowls of the "stew" as he wanted.  My Gramma loved mincemeat and when I got older I would help her make it, it was an arduous and sometime pretty revolting process, I never acquired a taste for it, but she loved it and I was glad when I got to help her to do all the little tasks that she would ask of me.  

I did not cook today except to make my brunch, I had a piece of salmon that needed to be cooked and I used a recipe from the Geechee Girl calendar - a Low Country Restaurant in Philadelphia that is now closed but I have fond memories of  the time around Christmas and New Year's when I had marvelous dinners with Lonnie and Janice.    I was glad that I had pulled out the calendar ( in anticipation of making Hoppin' John for New Years Day) earlier this week.  I decided that although somewhat decadent and unusual I was going to have Salmon for brunch - so I cooked the fish,  had microgreens from Micmac Market and Ancient Grains toast.  It was a treat.  I took a picture but I am not going to post it here - although I am so tempted.  

The kitchen got all cleaned,  I sat and knitted a little bit more of Vivienne's sweater and enjoyed the music, the quiet outside and the sunshine.  I clipped some evergreen boughs that I had on the porch and made myself another holiday basket (there is a picture above)-I had made my first ever holiday basket in November and had fun making another today.  I like how it looks and I like that it is something that I learned at our little greenhouse.  My grandparents had a greenhouse when they were young,  they sold it way before I was born, but I loved the pictures of them in the greenhouse.  They did not talk much about that time, but when they retired and moved in Florida both of them planted many flowers, they had a little vegetable garden and they grew amazing oranges, lemons and grapefruits.   I have not consciously thought about them as I have been in and out of the greenhouse many many times since this spring, but I think the energy there, the fun that the women have who work there has stirred something from long ago when I used to imagine my grandparents working in the greenhouse growing good things and sharing with their customers.  

I had time today to just sit with my thoughts for this coming year,  this time of birth.  Wishing that there truly can be a way to find Peace on Earth, and in my hearts.  That we can birth more room in our lives in our towns in our country for all of us, that divisiveness will lessen.  That we can quit honoring bullies and be more just.  It is important to have these moments of peace it shows me a way that is not always being fearful and rageful and outraged.  There is plenty to be outraged about and I will keep speaking out and doing my part.  For today I cherish that I can find a little peace and some grace.  

I went to supper with friends and there was a brand new baby, Zasha and her brother Zak maybe five years old.  Zak was so so so excited, and glad to have gotten off the naughty list just in time for tonight.  Santa tracker started just around dinner time.  I was glad to have shared a part of Christmas Eve and was glad when I came home and was able to lit my Hanakkuh  candles on this third night.   The candles are still burning brightly and the Christmas tree is twinkling as I type.  

May we all welcome this dark and allow the  grace of this moment to strenghten and sustain us as we envison and work for justice in our world and peace within our hearts. 

Comments