Skip to main content

Library Day!

The sun was shining and the thermometer read 8 degrees when I got in the car at 8 a.m. this morning to head to Millinocket for a shift at the library.   On the way out of town I got to see a number of Amish buggies going towards a job they are completing on State Hwy. 11 - they are building a storefront -- and it the cold they were out horses hauling and up on beams pounding and putting up walls and finishing the roof.    I really like having this truly other culture right in my midst and not too long after I passed all the big work going on there - I had to slow down once again to let an entire village of turkey cross the highway - I lost count at 17,  they all looked very big and seemed very happy as they all made it safely across the row and headed into a little stand of trees on the other side.  Not quite like my morning
Leo wearing rainbow in the "nook"  at the Library. 
commute on Interstate 94 from Minneapolis to St. Paul in years gone by!  I left early enough today to be able to have breakfast with my friend Sue.  She lives in New York and is visiting daughter and family for a couple of days.  I so enjoy when we get a little time together and feel like a kindred spirit has come for a visit.  We did a quick check in - shared important things about our lives and then off I went to library and she braved the cold walking back to the house!  We made a plan for my going to New York,  it will be fun to set a date when the weather is warm and the trees are full.   

The library was very slow today.  Not many people were ready to brave the cold today.  I usually work on Tuesday's and we open at noon on that day - there seems to be pent up readiness to get into the library when it is not open in the morning - but today there was no rush when the doors opened!  I did take a picture of the front page of the Bangor Daily News - despite the republican's warnings that impeachment will happen in old time I do think that history was made and that it is a big deal!  I was glad that the paper made a big banner to let all readers know this day had come.  I like my library work,  there is always some way be helpful - find a book - make a copy - help someone with the computers.  I like libraries, I was one of those kids that found the library to be one of those wonderful, amazing, safe places as a kid.  I read one biography (of women) after  another - just going down the shelves.  I loved reading about new places, the lives of other people, I like the smell of the books.   I now like that I get to support a library that really is an anchor for the community as well as a vehicle for moving into the future.  On the way out of town I stopped by to see Anita and Mark,  they are going to moving into a new gallery on Penobscot Avenue where the Woods and Water shop has been.  It will be a great move for them and for the region.  We had a good time and I started off for home filled with appreciation and gratitude for my life here in the Katahdin Region.   I got safely home,  no turkeys,  only one buggy on the road, and in time to get my mail from the post office.  I am hunkered down for the night and feeling quite embraced by the darkness as we move oh so close to the longest night of year. 
Local Paper Big Headline

Comments