Skip to main content

Winter Solstice and Santa's Visit




The lights are bright and the music is loud and ringing out joy!  Santa is riding down each and every street in Patten -- and I love it!  Such brightness as we move into the longest night.  This was the third night that Santa's firetruck came zipping down my street.  The first night it was such a delight,  then last night it happened again - with my tight little house I could not hear the music until the lights were shining in my front windows.  So today I went to the town office to ask about Santa and his sled.  I found out that there was one more night and  I was ready.  I walked to Main Street and watched the "sleigh" leave the firehouse, it goes down each and every street and a half-hour later Santa turned onto my street.  I had been listening to the fading and growing songs and  appreciating how many stars were out in this dark dark solstice sky.  The big dipper just pointing down on us, a little moment of child like innocence and delight as I waited to wave to Santa.   I could not get very good pics but I got a pretty good feeling.  

Savoring the lights and the music I came back into the house feet cold, hands tingling and I read this poem by a friend, she had posted it on facebook and I liked the movement from childhood fantasy to deep crone honoring that happens in this winter solstice prayer. 

I have candles lit, the lights are bouncing off the wood in my rooms.  I have a few twinkling lights that remind me of solstices past.   I have often had a solstice party,  people bringing candles, poems, pictures, stories and food.  This year I am here.  I will light my candles.  I will read a Mary Oliver poem out loud.  I have good food ready for supper.  And will read Mary's prayer again and again.  I am enfolded and invited into the dark.  May you find your way there.  May the prayers ring throughout the dark.  Best of Solstice Wishes to You ALL.

 

WINTER SOLSTICE PRAYER by Mary Saracino

Deep night, Dark night
Night of the longest sigh
Soulful night, Sacred night
Night of the longest dreams
Cold night, Holy night
Night of unfurling desires
Womb of the world, Birther of hope
Bringer of peace and good will
Pray, pray for all good things
That suffering for all will end
That life will thrive and generosity reign
In the hearts of all humankind
That joy will rise and children will fly
On wings of prosperity
Oh hear our plea, this silent night
When the moon is round in the sky
When hopes are high and eyes are wide
with delight and audacity
May Love prevail tonight, and always
Leading us back to our Source
May we dance with the dark, without hesitation or fear
And savor her promise of plenty
Deep night
Dark night
Night of the longest sigh
May our weary hearts stay vigilant and receptive
To all that is loving and dear

Comments