Skip to main content

Friday Weather Snow, Sleet, Rain, Ice and No Sun!

My "not yet my house" 1 year ago.
There was lots and lots of snow at this time last year.  My house closing was about a week away and I was trying to figure out how to make sure that they snow was cleared out before closing!  I was imagining the worst as I thought about all the workers that were lined up the next day after closing.  The snow was cleared, the worker came, the work was done, and the move went off without a hitch!

Today the snow all has a crust of ice/sleet/frozen stuff.  I tried to shovel off my back porch and resorted to putting down salt and sand.  I am not leaving the house for the rest of the day and maybe not tomorrow either.  I have three different pairs of ice cleats,  click on the link and find the best pair if you are in the northern climes.  I never had ice cleats in Minnesota (probably would have been a good idea) but here I have them at the back door, I have a pair in the car, and I have several types depending on where I am walking and the conditions.  They work great but today is still a challenge with or without cleats.  Parts of I-95 was closed when a semi jack knifed across all lanes of traffic.  The road condition FB site is filled with pleas to just stay off the roads.  I am fine with staying in the house.  

I am filling the house with good smells and lots of warmth.  I just finished making a batch of cranberry simple syrup that I use in holiday drinks.  There is a chicken cooking in a big pot for chicken stock.  I am going to make a batch of lentil soup to freeze and it seems like later this afternoon it will be good to have the smells of sauteed vegetables filling up the house with more good smells and a big pot of lentil soup to bring in the New Year.   This year I am covering my bases having lentils (Italian good luck) and black eyes peas (Southern good luck) and some favorite things that my Gramma used to make.  

I found in my recipe hunting yesterday this glorious dessert:  La Befana Cake:  Honouring the Old Witch of Winter  this cake was traditionally made on January 5th and I am holding the intention that I will have gathered all the necessary ingredients ( I have to candy some ginger and orange peels)  so I can share with friends and invoke and savor  its rich herstory and  taste.  I have put out calls asking if anyone remembers having this cake when they were young, especially my Italian friends.  The idea of this cake has captivated me and I am hoping to somehow make this a tradition for myself so I too can honor the old witch of winter.  

For today I will just imagine Befana,  enjoy the smells that are coming from my kitchen and stay off the ice.  Enjoy these last days of the decade.  Sometimes the dark is just gray.

Comments