Skip to main content

A Big Zoom Day...and Lots of Snow On It's Way




The snow has been falling for several hours, for awhile it did not stick,  now it is picking up and the trees are covered, the wind is blowing and there is lots of snow coming down.  I think that it is expected to snow through the night.  8-16" predicted.   Yep,  April 9th.  There are gale warnings,  maybe some flooding along the coast,  it is a real spring storm.  Good thing I have ample experience of being hunkered down in my home.  

Before the snow came today I was being a busy volunteer.  The morning started with taking notes for the Mobilize Katahdin Coalition zoom meeting.   This afternoon I had another zoom meeting, a training session for those of us who are in the first group of "responders" for Mobilize Katahdin.  I have incredible empathy for all the people who are juggling working at home,  kids, schooling, and everything else.   I am proud to be a part of this effort of people helping people to meet basic needs.  

When I  was thinking about today and a blog close to the end of another week, I wanted to share about my toilet paper story.   Last summer my friend Jaime told me about a new product that they were going to be carrying at the gear shop at the AT Lodge in Millinocket,  it is a Kula Cloth :

Well, what is it?
A Kula Cloth is the first of its kind - an intentionally (and obsessively) designed reusable antimicrobial pee cloth!  In a wilderness setting (or heck, even at a porta potty!), it's very important to have good hygiene. Traditionally, we either pack in excess amounts of toilet paper and/or employ the 'shaking off' method (aka 'drip dry'). Neither of these are good options.  A pee cloth is a way that we can stay comfortable AND have a positive impact on the environment at the same time.

Here is a picture of mine:

I love the Caption!

This is the side that you use! 
 
 The website lists many many ideas of when you would use your kulu cloth?   It did not mention a pandemic.  That is my athletic adventure - self isolation.   The cloth is great, use it and at the end of each day, rinse and let dry overnight,  use it the next day.  Zero waste, anti-microbial.  Who knew how useful a "pee cloth" would be!  Life in the time of a pandemic.  

As this weeks moves toward an end I am finding myself immersed in community even while not leaving my home,   I have made a few plans for a social distance hikes.   I am not looking forward to shoveling myself from the porch, and wonder how long it will take for this new snow to melt.   The supermoon was beautiful, thank you Paul Cyr for an amazing photo.  

Since I started this blog there is at least another 1-2 inches of new snow.  Everything is white,  the ground, the sky, the cars across the street.  Yep,  a whopper of a spring storm.  
I am not going anywhere!  

It is Thursday.  Let the snow blow.  Stay well.  Be safe.


Comments