Skip to main content

Doing What I Can


It is Monday,  another week.  I did a few errands today.  I emailed my grocery list to Ellis's Market and for the first time since I returned home I drove over and had them put the groceries in my "way back".   I stopped at the post office and was glad that no one was there.  I talked to Rob,  he is one of the people who have worked on my house since the first day that I bought it over a year ago,  I had a list of outside things around the house and he will stop by tomorrow or the next day to look at what needs to get done.  

I paid some bills online.   I rescued the clothes from the dryer.  I participated in the first of a 16 session Tai Chi class on zoom.  

All of this I did with the backdrop of feeling just a little uneasy,  I am not at ease.  I feel both sad and angry that I feel such tension around me regarding our ability to look towards the greater good.  That those who profit by fueling our divisions are in full force.  How to we build on a collective faith of coming through this pandemic having made some changes that are on the side of justice and equity.  

I cleaned up the kitchen,  scrubbed down the surfaces,  washed the dishes.  Put clean dishes away.  Kept my hands in the hot hot water and felt some comfort in a clean space, ready for the next meal.  

A friend called and we talked about where to donate money.  I decided today was a good day to send in some donations.  I have been doing what I can some donations one time some recurring.    Today I gave donations to:

Health Equity Alliance - LGBTQ  services and advocacy
Wabanaki Reach-Maine - Reconciliation work for indigenous people
BlackGirlInMaine - educating and advocating for racial justice (and she is another Chicago gal!)
Unitarian Universalist Church of Houlton - my loving and open-hearted congregation
Poppin' Joe's Gourmet Kettlekorn - a minority business owned by Joe who is a person with a disability 

This was something that I could do today.  There is more I can do and next week the list will look a little different.  I will persist.  

I put a picture of Elizabeth Warren on the blog today because I know that she will persist,  she can help us find our way through this place that we are and into a future where we are not being devoured by the 1% of institutional bias and unregulated capitalism.  A future where women will have a big stake in how we move forward.  

In all of the unease.  In my unsure steps throughout the day.  I noticed the day.  The winds were strong.  The sky was blue.  The sun was bright.  The brook was running hard.  

I found a link the featured Karin Spitfire, an artist, poet, Mainer - she contributed to a series by the Natural Resource Council of Maine - Maine Nature Mini-Poetry Series.  Here is the link.  In the midst of all that does not seem right,  our earth is appreciating the pause,  the air quality in Maine is even more clear than it usually is, and all of the incredible nature that surrounds us here in Maine is there just waiting for us to return.  

I hope that you will sit in the boat with Karin, with me and enjoy the art that flows through us - have a listen:  Karin Spitfire Poet

It is Monday another beginning.  I will persist. 

Comments