Skip to main content

Balance in Pandemic - Doing Tai Chi





For over three years I have been yearning for a tai-chi class in my new home in the Katahdin region of Maine.  There were several times when it looked like there might be a teacher available, but to no avail.

Amazingly, when I found my way to the UU Church of Houlton, I also found my way to an incredible Tai Chi teacher, Sue Glick of Laughing Dragon North TaiChi and QiGong.  In January I did two Saturday workshops, and was looking forward to resuming lessons after I returned from my "spring away" time.  

Then came the Pandemic.  I came home early from my "spring away" time.  All of sudden I had options to do tai chi.  Sue offered weekly classes on Wednesday, and I have since I returned home doing weekly classes with Sue.  It is a great class and a bonus is my BFF, Lonnie is doing the class with me.  She is in Philadelphia,  I am in Patten, Sue is outside of Houlton, and many of the other class members live in Canada.  This would not have happened if there was not Covid-19.  A silver lining.

Then  three weeks ago came another opportunity to do Tai Chi.  The Aroostook County Area Agency of Aging was offering Tai Chi for anyone over the age of 18 in the state of Maine.  I decided to join.   Here is a link to the article about our class from the Houlton Times  


If you clicked on the link you saw that I have had another 30 seconds of fame, this time in the article in the Houlton Times.  

I am "taking" three Tai Chi classes a week,  I would not be driving to Houlton three times a week for anything - a silver lining.  AND a great practice to be doing in this time or at anytime.  I am enjoying the people, the practice and the effects of now being able to do tai chi weekly.

So as I practice I am also glad that another month is coming to a close.  April is almost gone,  and tomorrow will be May Day.

I remember making May Baskets as a little girl.  I remember dancing around a May Pole (so very pagan and great mother identified!).  I remember marching in solidarity of workers.  

For now I am grateful that we are moving closer to more light, higher sun, more flowers, leaves unfurling and buds coming forth.  

I saw this quote from Adrienne Rich today.  It spoke to me deeply.  It also felt so apropos  for today.  I hope it resonates for you as well.

  Change is not a threat to your life, but an invitation to live.  

Comments