Skip to main content

The long Month of March Ends, the Year of April Begins!


I had a very connected day today.  I came downstairs around 8 a.m.   I put on my water kettle, and I rinsed the dry beans that had been soaking overnight.  They were big and plumb and ready to go into the chili.  I got out the insta-pot, cut onions, opened the tomato jars I had canned in September and got out the tomato paste tube to give a little more oomph to the mix.  I browned the local beef and onions,  put in the tomatoes,  added what seemed like a huge amount of beans, but it was just the right amount,  added Penzey's Chili Powder (God Bless Penzey's) and set the pressure cooker to do its work.  I loaded the last things that could go in the dishwasher, turned it on and sat down to enjoy my czeup of tea.   

I was excited,  I was joining my first tai chi class (since I returned home) with my instructor Susan and my BFF Lonnie was also joining the group, a super double bonus that was starting at 10:30 a.m. 

The UPS guy came.  I sprayed the boxes with my bleach spray and left them on the porch to "get safe".   Matt came by to ask through the glass if I had any mail that needed to go out!  

The Tai Chi class was very very good,  the hour and a half went by quickly and for that time it was wonderful to just be present in each movement, each breathe, breathing deeply into the "belly"  breathing out through the lungs.   

Class ends,  time for lunch and the chili done and ready to eat.  

The garbage guy picked up my garbage and recyclables.   Kevin (facility manager for the town) came by to read the water meter.  The oil guy came to fill up my tank.   All this I noticed from inside my house - I did wave at Kevin from my porch.  All seemed almost other worldly.  I don't want anyone to get too close even with glass windows and doors between us.  

I wave and smile.  I put one of two stuffed elephants I have (this one was given to me by Jackie for valentines day a couple of years ago) on the porch so the kids who may walk by have an animal to wave at when they pass by.  

At 2 pm  I had a volunteer zoom meeting for Mobilize Katahdin  it is our regions response to the everyday needs that are even greater now that we are living in a pandemic.  It was short, affirming, and we do more training on Friday for our various jobs that we are volunteering to perform.   Mine will be able to be done in my home .... I am looking forward to the connecting, learning and growing that will happen. 

A load of laundry got put in the washer after our 30 minute meeting (just the right amount of time!).   I reached out to a woman in Aroostook County and ordered 10 masks that she is making!  Then off for a nap.  

Oh my these afternoon naps are so good.  I need them.  I like that the tv is on less and less.  The radio on more, and music is filling my home.  I am on a more even keel today.  I feel connected and was aware that with 2 zoom meetings,  3 waves, and 2 noticing trucks in my driveway that was about all the contact my introvert self could handle for today.  

I am going to try to write a few cards so they will show up in people's mailboxes next week.  May not happen today, maybe tomorrow.  I have one phone call on the calendar for tomorrow.  Just the right amount after my busy day today.   

Oh,  it snowed on and off all morning, no joke.  It has stopped.  The sky is grey.   I am hunkering down for the evening.  I have a few shows that I would like to see on Netflix.  

It is Wednesday,  it is April 1st.  Most days in March felt like a week.   I am betting that April might just feel like a year when we are done with it.  I know that we will all be changed in some way.  Be safe.  Stay in your house.  Be kind to yourself and others.  Give yourself hugs, big, big, hugs. 
 

Comments

Littleton Sue said…
A little diary of a full day. You are amazingly productive for a locked-down genie. Naps are very productive! Do not short yourself on naps. Sending love and one of those warm smiling hugs you are so good at!
Sue