Skip to main content

Signs of Spring


I got an email this morning that let me know that Ada's farm stand was now open.  Ada is a dear young Amish woman, who is working hard with her new garden and farm stand.  I went over to Golden Ridge where their farm is almost weekly all last summer and fall.  I built up quite a friendship with Ada who moved here in Ohio.   Every time I had a visitor we went to Ada's,  she loved that I brought friends and enjoyed the conversations with my friends from around the country.  

Ada, saw my car pull up and came out.  We were both so very happy to see each other (at a safe distance).  Ada just had a new baby at the beginning of March.  She lamented that I couldn't come into the house to see the new baby, and we both expressed great hope that I would be able to hold this new one in my arms soon.   

I saw lots of signs of spring on my way to and from Golden Ridge Road.  I stopped and watched the lambs and goats just sprinting around chasing each other.  The earth is opening up it looks so ready to begin to sprout forth.  There were a few houses that had early spring flowers blooming loudly!  

Everything seems so ready to just spring forth.  I enjoyed the ride.  I liked being outside.  The sky was so intensely blue.  The mountain was bigger than life.  The sun was shining brightly. 

 I saw more cars out than I have in the few other times that I have been in my car.  I filled the car up with gas at the Irving station, with my Irving card it was $1.68 a gallon.  Yep, that is what it was.  

On the way to Ada's I saw that several other of the Amish stands were open.  The women who sells beautiful baskets is open, I didn't stop but I will on my next trip.  

At Ada's I was able to get eggs ($2.50 a dozen), peach jam,  dill beans, and maple syrup ($40.00 a gallon or $22.00 for 1/2 gallon) - they had other smaller sizes, but I forgot to check out the price.  

Ada said that she opened the stand, so that people would not have to come to the house.  She has lots of eggs.  Lots of syrup, and they are canning jam, etc.  daily.  

It felt hopeful.  Chickens laying eggs,  Ada planning the garden, babies being born and the sun shining bright and high in the sky.

 I am looking forward to the buds and leaves starting to burst from the bushes the trees.  The ground will begin to turn from brown to green.  The animals will dot the landscape.  Th snow will be on Katahdin for quite a long time, but on the ridges and in the valley the sun will do its job like it does every spring.  

Last night I watched the virtual draft of the WNBA,  I love those women who have worked so hard and have for their entire life had a professional league to aspire towards.  I am hopeful that we might experience some innovation and a more entrepreneurial spirit as we look towards what a new season might look like.

I am appreciating the light.  My organic box of food that is delivered weekly.  I am continuing to make my donations to organizations with the check I received into my bank account.  

It is Saturday.  I have done my errands.  I have been out in the world.  I think I might do a little streaming binging later today.  

Be safe, stay well.  
 

Comments