Skip to main content

Goodnight Irene



This morning I saw a Facebook post asking people to list the #1 Song of the Music Chart on the day you were born.  I thought that I had done this in the past, but when I looked it up - I was in for a surprise: Goodnight Irene by Gordon Jenkins and The Weavers, it was the #1 song for thirteen weeks.   

My Grandmother loved this song,  she would sing it and many times she would tear up,  I never questioned why the song touched her so much, but I learned to sing along with her at a very early age.  I have distant glimpses of her and I in her kitchen singing softly to each and looking at each other so tenderly. I was very happy this morning to be taken back to that kitchen, back to my Gramma's arms, and singing and twirling as we both sang Goodnight Irene.   

I found this YouTube clip of the Weavers singing Goodnight Irene  I was able to have my own love affair with the Weavers and especially with Ronnie Gilbert as she and Holly Near spent many years singing together.   I remember seeing them the first year they sang together at the Michigan Womyn's Music Fest,  I sat in my chair at the night stage surrounded by literally hundreds of women and sang out with them all and my own tears were streaming down my face.   Here is the link for Ronnie and Holly Singing Goodnight IreneGood memories to start my day.  Of course, I have been singing on and off all day long.  

Today was one of those spring days that you so hope will come,  the sun was bright, the temperature in the mid-50's.  My face just soaked up the heat from the sun.  I stood on my back porch,  arms wide out at my side and just taking it all in, glorious.  

I did a good cleaning of all surfaces today, ending and starting a new week.  I felt totally victorious when I finally cleared off the dining room table.  It feels like taking this step will open up for the possibility for more and different creativity, what can I fill this table up with?     

I have been home and entire week and I felt another shift today.   I was able to focus a little more.   I am enjoying a little more reading.   I continue to make lovely meals,  today I made a watermelon radish/fennel salad with lemon juice, olive oil and a little salt and pepper.  It will go with the Micmac Trout and fresh green beans that I am making for supper.  I have been sampling all afternoon, while checking the chicken broth that is simmering on the back burner.  

I had the television turned off for most of the day.  I was able to turn within,  breathe in and breathe out.  Appreciate the sunshine.  Enjoy the warmth.  Listen to the birds.  Smells the good aroma's coming from my kitchen.  

I am more than half way of my quarantine.  I am feeling good.  The house is clean, the cupboards have good food.  My anxiety was less today.  My heart goes out to all those who are experiencing such a different reality.   I start my new volunteer role as a "responder" with Mobilize Katahdin, they are doing really good work in our region, check them out.   

It is Sunday - another week.  We are still in the midst of this pandemic and are told to "brace for the worst" week yet.  Be safe, be well, be kind.  Breathe in and Breathe out.

 

 









Comments

dufzor said…
Internet difficulties today..so NO TV either...is back up now. Do I want to be informed (and also feel all those feelings that go with that)? Until now, today was like a usual day in the woods here, before all of this started.
I checked out your new volunteer op in the Mobilize Katahdin. I so hope to someday move to a community that looks out for one another, MaryAlice. Thank you for reminding me that it is still possible as soon as I figure out how to make that happen for me.
HA. Checked out the #1 song for the week I was born. It was "My Boyfriend's Back"!!!! So wrong! LOL