Skip to main content

Paul Wellstone Mental Health Parity Act Passes

I made it through an entire work week, where I engaged in work every day.  That was a lot!  If I ever need surgery again I will take into account the political scene.  Surgery and a Presidential Election, and an economy that is imploding - that is a lot too.   The good news of the day, the "bail out bill" included the Wellstone Mental Health Parity Act.  Paul and Sheila fought for this for so long,  his sons continued for the past five years, and not only is this bill so significant for people who suffer from mental illness and addiction - it is a long overdue tribute to Paul Wellstone.  Oh how we all wish that he was here today.   I want to share a part of a poem that I wrote over four years:

...This is what Sheila believed,
In what Paul fought for,
What they lived together
Wanting for each one of us to have 
The time, take the space
For dignity,
For hope,
For pride,
A place,
Community,
Belonging....

This bill helps many of us to live our lives the way Paul so passionately spoke about. Paul told us the future does not belong to the cynics, it belongs to those of us who have passion, live consciously, want to care for each other, care for the world, be present, show up, right now.  Congress did that today.   I miss you Paul.

Comments