Skip to main content

Activation of memories - Day 4 Chicago IL

I am having a delightfully spacious morning in my oh so very nice hotel room overlooking the Chicago River and incredible architecture.   Yesterday, I arrived in Chicago and was delighted when I checked into my hotel, I have a great space to lay down my head, and there is a comfy couch and a good desk...everything I need.  AND the view is amazing.

Yesterday I went to Andy's Jazz Club, it was started in 1950, and has been a mainstay for local, national and international jazz talent.  i was transported as I sat at the bar with several others patrons who were long time customers, possibly musicians themselves and for sure were lovers of jazz.  It feels so good to be sitting in the same room with a very diverse group of people,  it makes me feel more whole, more in my self and safe.  I was taken aback a little by how much I felt the pull of these very Midwestern, Chicago people.   On Wednesday morning I had breakfast with this woman on the train,  she asked where I was from,  when I said Maine, she looked at me funny, then I said Chicago was my home town,  she laughed and said, yes you say Chicago right!   Oh those vowels give you away every time. 



I so enjoyed the music and found myself remembering being a very young woman here in Chicago.  Steve and I lived in old town, on Wieland Street (one block off North, one block off Wells),  there was a jazz club on the corner and somehow we got to know the owners and before I knew it I was tending bar there in the evenings during the week.  I loved the club, the musicians, the vibe.....the man I sat next to remembered the club.  Miles Davis played there,  I don't think I realized as this young white woman just how amazing it was to listen to Miles Davis.    I had not thought of, even remembered that club for I don't know how long, but last night as the pianist and the bass player brought each other to heights and surprises I remembered the delight of hearing jazz and falling in love with this music that was not like anything else I had heard before.  Sweet memories and totally present, the gift of music.    

I went back to the hotel enjoyed just looking out at the lights and feel fast asleep.  I slept well and woke up late.  I realized that I was tired,  I love the train and it really is not an easy sleep for me and I had been on alert for days and days to be getting ready to go.  Now here I am gone.  I gave myself permission to just go very easy and I did.  I went for breakfast around 10,  slowly drank my tea, ate my oatmeal and did the puzzle in the paper.   Came back and watched Elizabeth Warren announce the suspension of her presidential campaign.  It was gut wrenching.  How did we get to this place?  

I decided that I was going to go to Goodman Theater and see Graveyard Shift.  I am glad I did,  it was powerful, such a story of the black experience, police, our world today, love and loss.  I am still processing and I know that I am very glad to have seen this play.  Another way of feeding my spirit,  challenging myself and opening up to windows of world that I share but are not my own.  Another moment that informs and guides me as I live with a world that gave me white priviledge at such a cost to those with black and brown skin.  

City life,  diverse, challenging, messy and so much more.  My friend Vickie sent me a picture this morning of Mt. Katahdin from Ash Hill,  it seared into my gut, grounded me.    I am glad to be in my young person home, and I am glad that I now have a home in Maine.  

I am just beginning my spring away time.  Day 4, filled with culture, good food, good rest and so much more....

Comments