Skip to main content

One day at a time....Day 18

Today is a double header it was not really intentional that I took a blog day off yesterday, it just happened, once I realized I had not sat down to write it was so late on the east coast I decided to just wait until today.

Sicily 
I wanted to post a picture from my trip to Sicily.  There were many to pick from and somehow this amazingly beautiful ruin captures the moment.  I have a very good friend who lives in Syracuse,  she is well,  the south of Italy has not yet been hit in the way the north of Italy has been.  She was not planning to return to Wisconsin until early May, and now understands she does not know for sure when she will be able to return.  


Life as we knew it last month is changing and today was the first day that I really felt like I have achieved a little more balance, lots less time with the television on, and more time doing things that ground me - more tai chi/qi gong, knitting and I am still cooking cooking cooking...

The quinoa tabouli that I  made yesterday tastes even better today.   I have been simmering stock for several days and the soup is going to be our supper tonight.   I have gotten better at shopping online and doing pick up at Sprouts.

I was glad to have a few phone calls with friends back home.  I am trying to keep in touch with family and friends in a number of states.  And here I am in Arizona, where it rained today and there is a little more leadership being given, but most certainly not enough at the federal level.  

I have "saved" a number of links for amazing entertainment while at home - I have not watched them yet.  I am finding solace in reading books on my kindle,  I have a couple of actual books that I brought with me,  the best being "Rowing North"  about women aging and how we do it well.  I spend time outside every day.  

I feel the distance,  I send out care and concern, and I know that I do not know what the next days or weeks hold.  I write  this blog as much for myself as I write for you.  I feel incredibly connected to you all right now.  I know that the Chinese characters for crisis - danger and opportunity are true - and I am hopeful that we will find our way into the opportunities that find innovation and "another way".   

Warm wishes of health and safety and sanity to us all.


Comments

Littleton Sue said…
Precious MaryAlice. The distance is palpable, isn’t it? We must dwell in mental intimacy—your words and my words and the world’s words. Vastly more difficult are the hugs we are missing. Ten a day are necessary for health and healing, per one qigong healer. My prescription for you today: wrap your arms around yourself and close your beautiful eyes. My hug arms, nice and long are around us both. Even a gentle hum. I hug you/you hug me. No social distance in our heart, my new friend. A hug meditation. I remember the flowers you bring.
Sue