Skip to main content

Respite at LaPosada - Day 8

Monday was Day 8 of my travels, and it was a very good.   I slept in until 8 a.m. and was so happy to be off the train and at this hotel that I so wanted to visit.   The really good news for me was that I was able to get off the train at LaPosada, because the Southwest Chief did not leave Winslow until the morning - the time for the conductor and engineer had "expired" and not only did they have to change a car,  that needed a new crew.   Not a good time for people on their way to LA.   One does wonder what long distance rail travel would be like if we really supported an infrastructure for the trains.  The irony is as we walked to the restaurant at 7:30  there was the South West Chief heading west -- right on time, some days are better than others on the train!   






LaPosada in Winslow is a visual delight and the owners artist Tina Mion and her husband Allan Affeldt have done a beautiful restoration, the link I have highlighted shares a little about them and the gifting of the hotel to Northern Arizona University as a part of their estate.   Tina Mion is a very interesting and provocative artist,  she is known for her "Suicide Supper",  her first lady playing cards,  and her spoons....the hotel is an art gallery that includes both her work and indigenous artists from around the southwest.  

I snuggled next to the fireplace, and let the hours of rail travel release and just feel the comfort around me.   

We met friends for lunch at a mexican restaurant that the locals love, and I did to.  It has been long time since I had good mexican food and this was great.  Then off to stand on the corner take pics and have a little fun in Winslow.  

The day was easy,  good people, good food,  sunshine and more.  

I am a little travel weary especially as the corona-virus news  just keeps getting more bleak.  I am really being a good washer,  I am trying to interrupt all those times when I want to touch my face.  I am trying to stay in the day, as thinking ahead a week or even days does not help -- we just don't know.  What I believe is I will know if I need to do something other than what I have planned for this trip.  Of course I am old,  I have a good immune system,  I am healthy.  I don't smoke.  

Being a traveler in the time of trump and covid-19,  maybe the start of really dark humor play?  For today, it is rain in Arizona and a drive down to the "valley".  Phoenix here I come. 

Comments