Skip to main content

Day 1 -- Smooth Riding

 Monday morning started early, I was up in time to make sure all the to do's were done.  I had plenty of time for my morning cup of tea, a little breakfast, and lots of good prayer for my gratefulness of my sweet sweet home.  I was ready.  The contrast was stark between the absolute warmth inside my house and the brisk brisk embrace of winter's firm grip outside as I took the a few pictures of what the landscape was like as the morning sun began to appear.  Dear Vicki picked me up and after a coffee and water stop off we headed to the Concord Bus Station.  I was glad that just days before the busline had made public that there position on US Immigration and Border Patrol Searches:

In a statement today, Concord Vice President Ben Blunt said,
 “Effective immediately, Concord Coach Lines will no longer consent to U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s warrant-less entry of our buses for immigration checks.”


 We arrived with just the right amount of time to spare, there were a few other people at the station for the bus to Boston.  People are many times incredulous when I say I am taking the bus to Boston, I like it - they provide free newspaper, water, pretzels, movies, WiFi and charging.  That's more than you get on your airplane ride (unless you get to fly 1st Class).  The seats are comfortable and I has the row to myself - I had just started a new book on my travel kindle and I was ready to go.   Book reading breaks happened when I read the paper and did the daily suduko puzzle. 

 The bus stopped in Portland and I shared my seat for the rest of trip.  We didn't chat, she texted, I read and did an occasional look at Facebook and messages.  

It seems like a very short time and we were on the outskirts of Boston.  Then dropping off passengers at the airport and onto South Street Station.  

A quick cab,  I actually took a cab not Uber or Lyft to my hotel and I was off for lunch.  My hotel is less than two blocks from Boston Commons, lots of food choices and lots of history.   Japanese it was.  Oh it was good.  

Then off for a little walk.  There is no snow here.  The temperatures felt so very mild, I don't really know what they were, but it was not 8 degrees like when I left home.

The rest of the day was lazy,  hot bath, cup of tea.  Enjoying watching the city light up from the 22nd floor of the hotel.  Listening to the hum of the city.  I watched the NCAA Selection Committee's "reveal" of the top 16 for the Women's Basketball Tournament.  A few surprises....but there will be lots of time for basketball talk - in one month I will be in New Orleans for the Final Four.  

Not there today.  I am here.  I am going to drop off my luggage early at Amtrak and take a good walk before I get on the train.  I will notice how I respond to urban pace, the noise, the diversity, the movement.  


I am remembering the drive out of Patten,  the morning sun.  The vista with a long low cloudbank in the east.  Mt. Katahdin in all her glory without a cloud in sight.  The view a little further along from Ash Hill that gives you such a glance at the entire range.  

I told Vicki I never get tired of breathing in the mountain range,  of being grounded by Katahdin, and my heart filling large as I take in the Vista.  That is what I carry inside as I smile and breathe  in the this first day of my "spring away" time.  

All aboard.

Comments