Skip to main content

Traveling South in Arizona - Spectacular!


Sorry I did not post this until today.  I had thought it was on Facebook so it is Day 12, but here is a recap from Day 9.

It is Day 9 and I couldn't end my trip to LaPosada without acknowledging MaryJane Colter,
one of the few women architects of her time.  She was an amazing architect who absolutely conjured and captured the romance, majesty and authenticity of the west.   Her buildings for the National Park Service, especially at the Grand Canyon are amazing.  So before leaving I took this pic acknowledging MaryJane Colter  (she did live in Minnesota for awhile so another affection for her).   

We left the hotel and took 87 South towards Phoenix.  The road starts in high desert, moves to scrub brush and then into the Ponderosa Pine forest.   Then opening up to great vista's of mesa's, then through the switchback and then the saguaro cactus begin to appear.  The flowers were starting to pop up along the road and on the desert floor.  


 It rained off and on the way to the valley.  The ride was a visual delight.  Such a range of geography,  of vegetation and vistas.  

I loved when the Saguaro cactus began to show their arms and their height.  

We arrived in Phoenix just at the start of rush hour.  We had gone from hardly any traffic to multiple lanes of cars zipping along.  Phoenix is so very very spread out and it became once again clear the magnitude of this metropolitan area.  

We found our way to the "desert oasis" in central Phoenix.   

So good to be with my friends who I have not seen in two years.   

We ordered in Indian food and watched election returns on MSNBC.  Glad that Biden is doing so very well.  We watched the updates on the corona virus, wondering what was next.  I called the airlines and got some needed information.   I am hunkered down, we are still watching the returns.  I am heartened by the number of democrats who are casting votes.   The smell of the orange blossoms is wafting through the air.  The rain is slowly falling, and I am soon off to bed.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring.  Glad to be with good good friends.  Stay safe.




Comments