Skip to main content

Patience necessary for long distance train travel in USA - Day 2




It has a very good day.  I left my hotel earlier than I needed to this morning.  That gave me time to hand my bags over to the red cap, take a good walk,  find some breakfast,  order a chai latte, and hang out in the Amtrak Lounge.   I  had a good morning, enjoyed conversations with people I did not know and found myself easing into the anticipation of almost an entire day on the train.  

The train trip started with a problem,  the electronic switching devices needed to leave south station were not working, so the work needed to be done manually.  It was a slow process but after about 30 minutes or so we  left the station.  I love the feel of the train, the subtle rocking and the sound of the wheels riding along the track.  We had made our way to Worchester, where once again there was a little delay,  we had to wait until the train going to Boston made it through one part of the tracks, then we were free to go....a brief wait and once again with whistles blowing we were off.  It was smooth sailing or rather riding after that --- I spent time reading my kindle book and looking out the window.  We traveled for a long time along water, going past the back side where most people don't see.  Went past golf courses where a few people enjoying the 60 degree day were out there walking with their golf bags enjoying the day.    My book was good ( I just finished it before beginning my blog) and I would read a little then lose myself in the moving landscape.   

Lunch was good and afterwards I think I slept for a little bit, then there was another announcement of the next stop and I was awake.  Rolling west, enjoying the respite from radio, from tv, from news.  I would check my phone every once in awhile, make a little post on Facebook.  Then back to leaning into the rhythms of train.  We pulled into Albany in the dark,  this was the first stop that you could go outside get a stretch, leave the train.  It is also where the Lake Shore Limited from NYC hooks up with the train from Boston.  That is literally hooks up to the train I was on....that train has the dining car where we would have our supper and all was going well until it was discovered that something was wrong with one the pullman cars,  they had to disconnect it manually,  it took awhile, and there was lots of waiting and our train moving back and forth near the station.  After about an hour delay we were once again off.   They thought we might make up time.  Time seems different on the train,  you are just on the train.  

So once again we headed out,  I have just finished supper with a lovely couple from southern France, they are going to San Francisco.  And as I type we have just left the station in Uttica,  we are moving through New York, soon we will be further west Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana and then Union Station in Chicago.  My porter, Donovan has made up my bed,  it is dark outside sometimes you see light, little towns whiz by, the whistle blows.    I am snuggled up, they think we will make up the lost time during the night.  I don't care.  I will arrive in Chicago, when I arrive in Chicago.  Day 2 has been a good day.  I am happy. 

Comments

Unknown said…
There are few better ways to decompress than the rhythm of the rails.