Skip to main content

A Visit to the County!




Took time for a car trip to Houlton!  Kathy and I set out again as we each had a few errands and stops that we wanted to make in Houlton.   Houlton was once an incredible thriving community, as you drive through the town you can see what were once wonderful Victorians, sturdy bright brick buildings that once were a part of prosperous town in the northern most county of Maine, Aroostook - right on the Canadian/USA border.  Today it is one of many struggling rural towns in Maine and in our country.  

I had not gone to Houlton while I was visiting and living in Millinocket - if I needed to go to a larger town I went to Bangor.  Now my inclination is to explore Houlton so I know what might be available to me there as it is much closer than going to Bangor.  It is about the same driving time to go to Houlton as it is to go to Millinocket.  

Today I had a few things I needed to get for the house and I was wanting to do a little exploring.  Note to self:  don't go on Mondays...many shops and restaurants are closed.  I did not entirely strike out!  I found out that Sherwin Williams no longer makes the Pearl Translucent wash that I was hoping to put on the guest bedroom walls.  Too bad.

The second hand stores were closed so they will be on my list for the next time I drive up.  The County Co-op and Farm Store  was open and we had a good time looking at all the handmade items (I bought a cap) and we had a very very good lunch.  It is a tiny little food coop that has bulk spices,  dried beans, a variety of other well sourced and organic goodies.  They have my most favorite coarse ground mustard.  I didn't buy it today, but I will be back.  I got information on being member owner and I will look over the materials soon.  I have been a member of a coop in every place I have lived since 1976.  I would like to support this coop that is right on the Canadian border and is so very eclectic-a good way to find out about farmer's who are practicing good growing and making good food.

We did get wildlife sightings - a moose on the way up and deer along the railroad tracks.  On the way back home we had to pause for awhile as one - two - three deer ambled very very slowly across the road.  The sky was brilliant,  the mountain was majestic, the range so grounding.  It is just darn beautiful.  Not for the the faint of heart, but the rewards are many.  

We got back to Patten early afternoon, went to the post office and the hardware store and Nate said he would stop down to see if he could get the garage door opener programmed.  He gave it a good try, but NO it did not work.  Next step he will talk to his garage door person from guess where - Houlton and see when he comes to Patten if he can sort out what could be done to get a garage door opener to work with my doors!  Meanwhile, I will take a few steps and not be spoiled by such convenience!

I am now ready for a evening in the house,  the winds are starting to pick and a storm is coming in from the south - Tuesday night through Wednesday with maybe another 6-8 inches.   Then another one is coming this weekend.  

I was feeling so good that January flew by and the reward is February with it's winds and snow and more snow.   I am warm and toasty and ready for my third week in Patten!  A good start to the week and another day where I have yet to unpack a box!  Progress.
 

Comments