Skip to main content

Double Header

Second week in my house.  Daily rhythms have started to emerge.  I find myself sitting in the kitchen at the old enamel top table in the morning listening to NPR Morning Edition and having my tea.  

Yesterday was my first day back volunteering at the library.  I carpooled with Julie and we managed to escape icy roads in the morning but drove home in the rain!  I feel the push and pull of being in a new town, my life that I had while living in Millinocket is changing.  I have many things that I want to continue do and at the same time there needs to be space to build community for myself in Patten.  

Meanwhile I still am in a world of unpacking.  With most of the day out of the house, it seemed odd and a little disconcerting to not be unpacking yesterday.  I did do a little opening up and seeing what was next with boxes and suitcases in my bedroom on Tuesday when I got home -- then today I jumped right back  into the world of my move.  I found myself doing "micro" cleaning,  e.g. really cleaning the wash machine (more dog hair) and then returned to putting things away. 

I also notice that I have a tiredness that is deep and I must pay attention.  As I make this house more my home, I begin to relax.  When I relax, the tensions leave and the tiredness emerges.  So I am taking time, taking naps, allowing myself to have time to be versus time to do.

Then there are just the realities of living in rural northern Maine.  Mid afternoon the oil company called, they had come by to fill up the oil tank and couldn't find the pipe through the snow.  They had delivered twice but more snow on the ground and more snow falling from the roof made it impossible.  Fortunately, my snow folks were able to come over and do some heavy snow moving work.  The pipes are free, the propane tank is visible and the snow guy has a path that he can keep open for the rest of the winter.   Before next year the oil tank lines are being moved and hopefully we will have implemented a better plan for my  winter here!

Kathy stopped by to drop off some hand and toe warmers from LL Bean.  I had tested the hand warmers out on our drove to Houlton last week, and thought they were great.  The visit was as welcomed as the warmers.  Now I am ready for a little snow shoe time and a little cross country skiing!

I did not watch the SOTU, I did watch the democratic response.  I am doing less screen time and more time with a couple of good books.  One for my book club and one for my own enjoyment.  I am listening to Pandora and public radio.   Often I am just here in the quiet.  

I am finding my way, I am finding places for my stuff, and I am finding time to rest.  

Comments