Skip to main content

The Winds are Blowing in the North End

These last days of February are most certainly testing of one's spirit.  The snow came yesterday maybe 4-6 inches, enough to require shoveling out path to the garage and  the oil pipe.  The morning and early afternoon were mild the thermometer hit 30 degrees.  

I poked around in the garage and organized the bins and boxes so that I could more easily access things as they are needed.  More importantly I hadn't really taken an inventory of WHAT was in the garage and it feels good to have a better idea.   Several boxes came into the house and were immediately emptied out!  

When I was not out shoveling or in the garage sorting I was on the phone updating and doing other kinds of sorting.  Taking care of bills and appointments and even making time for a long chat with a dear friend.

Then it was off to post office and a stop at the car wash.  I had seen the sign but had not yet stopped in,  I'm glad I did today.   They wash your car.  My car was so very very very dirty, salty and just plan disgusting I couldn't believe how happy I was when they said they could do it right then.   So I walked across the street and did a little grocery shopping and they washed my car.  I came back and it was just shining.  It made me so happy.  I drove very slowly home so not to do very much splashing and put the car back in the garage.  I continue to be surprised with home happy I am when I have a clean car.  I am happy that we have a car wash right in town.  

I continue to marvel that my little town has much of the essentials that I need - grocery store, hardware store, pharmacy, coffee shop, gift shop, diner, bank, and CAR WASH.  

The list of what we don't have is longer, but those are not the essentials....although there are days when they feel like must haves - especially when cabin fever and shack happiness have taken over my psyche.

Now it is late afternoon.  The temperature is dropping.  The wind is blowing.  I mean the wind is really blowing, the trees are swinging and you can hear the wind blowing freely up here on the ridge.   There is no sun shining it is a landscape of gray and white, trees look like silhouettes against a grey backdrop of horizon and sky.  

The snow is whirling and swirling making it unclear if this is just blowing or is the snow falling from the sky.   These are the final days of February, we have been in deep winter since November when it just happened almost overnight.  The snow have come and come and the piles are measures in feet lots of feet of snow.  

It will get cold cold tonight that means that the sun might shine tomorrow.  That is the silver lining in our snow globe of a world.  

I will just stay inside my little globe tonight.  Thinking about how much I liked the Oscars last night,  watching a little women's basketball, and not unpacking any more boxes!  It is Monday, three days to go in February, then March will come roaring in....bringing a new month of winter...oh joy!

Comments