Skip to main content

Community Cafe Meeting, Viewing Party at Mt. Chase Lodge and 2nd Year of Retirement Anniversary

Wow, Wow, Wow.  There are lots of current events that I seem to have lots to say about today, but I am holding those thoughts until tomorrow.  Today I am reflecting on one week in Patten, my second anniversary of retirement and the wonders of community.  

Today is my first week of living in Patten.  I still find myself peering out the windows and feeling such happiness taking in my new views.  The white and red pines.  The undulating feminine looking mounds of snow in the front yard.  The stand of trees that is my back back yard.  

There are fewer boxes downstairs.  I can cook in the kitchen.  The dishwasher, washer and dryer have all been put into action.  I can watch TV and have a DVR as a part of the set up so I can record programs.   I have internet and a home phone!  It feels like home.

I could not resist opening up a few more bins.  And the good news is that I found the fiesta ware dishes and the plates from Italy.  They had been tugging at me, where are you and they have been found!

This Saturday instead of driving a moving van from Millinocket I drove my car to Millinocket.  Stopped in at Milly Haven to pick up a box,  dropped it off and then headed to Diana's for a Community Cafe Planning meeting.  

We are using the One World Everybody Eats   
model,  and it is a joy to envision a space where we can get together, eat good food and build community.  A "pay what you can" model that equalizes for all the ability to go out and meet or make a friend, find a space just for yourself and have a meal.  We are slowly making our way, will be reaching out for more help and hope that we will be serving meals sometime later this year!  Another big bonus of our meetings is that we eat together.  Pot luck, and our pot lucks are good.  We keep our meeting to no more than 2 hours and then I was off, driving back to Patten in the mid afternoon cloudiness.

I spent a little time relaxing and then off to the grocery for a few things that I need to make lentil soup and chilli.  Tomorrow I am going to  cook easy to heat up meals to assist with my second week of unpacking and home making.  

I put the groceries in the car and headed out to Mt. Chase Lodge.  We are having Lasagna tonight and a viewing party for the Kick Off of the 4th Season of Maine Life.  Mt. Chase Lodge and other joys of the Katahdin Region are featured in tonight's show.  I don't have the link but you can "google"  Maine Life TV show on You Tube and get the link.  I am sure from the segments that I saw when they were filming here a few weeks ago that it is going to be a beautiful fun 30 minutes learning about where I live!

I am blogging from the Mt. Chase Lodge, having a glass of Cab and getting excited for supper.  After supper we all get to watch the premier of Season 4!




There are lots of guests in the lodge and in the cabins, and a table full of locals for supper.  All of this and I am very aware that 2 years ago today was my last day of work.  I had for 1 1/2 years been traveling back and forth.  Learning about Millinocket loving our Milly Haven home.  I have had two springs where I traveled south and lessened the length of winter for myself.  I have made deep friendships and learned new things.  I have felt the joys of being included and the pang of being an outsider.  I have fallen in love with the region, the people and the possibility.   I struggled with my need to have a home of my own and now I am here.  Sitting at the "local" table tonight at Mt. Chase Lodge.  

There are lots of sleders staying.  I have never been on a snowmobile.  They call them sleds.  I have gotten two invites this week to go for a ride.  We'll see. For tonight I am going to watch Maine Life where some of the segment was shot as they were sledding through the woods!  

It is cold out tonight, there is a faint smell of the gasoline from the sledders.  It is so warm in the lodge that



Comments

Brenweb said…
Sounds wonderful dear MA.. I’m totally into your building community and living in great digs with friends always nearby -hopefully-
Is it nice being out of Minnesota? Believe me you aren’t missing out on too much. I’m sure you’ve heard how hatefully cold its been here.. everyone feels couped up and trapped in our abodes.. so looking forward to spring, a thousand years from now
Keep posting your musings dear, I’ll be a followin’. Hugs, B