Skip to main content

1st Week of January - Hang on What a Year This is Going To Be!

 It has been a quiet day.  I have stayed away from the radio and television.  I did read that on this date in 2007, the 110th Congress elected Nancy Pelosi as the Speaker of the House.

I for one am very glad that she became the first woman speaker of the house, and that she is tending the House today.  We need everything she has, and all that she allows her delegation to bring to table as we move through these next days and weeks.  

I was thinking about the Harry Potter series and the Hunger Games, books that captivated many as we were drawn into the battles of good against evil.  As we face the sobering reality of assassination and  escalating threats, it does not seem so easy to find our hero or heroine or the best buddies that stand with them.  

It seems as if the United States is on its own, or maybe the strings are being pulled by Putin from Russia.  I am not a conspiracy theorist,  but I am a realist, and besides thinking of child and young adult series I have found myself humming a childhood tune about the "cheese stands alone"  I don't even remember how the song gets to the cheese, or if that is good or bad.  Somehow my picture of donald trump as morphed into a wedge of orange cheese in a whirling and swirling world inundated with tweets.

It all sounds a little morbid or something, but somehow I worked myself back into a place of just being present right now and doing my part, however that seems for today.  

Some of my part today was watching a little women's basketball, and my team couldn't pull out a win, and they didn't even play that well - early in the season.  At the rec center today was a series of basketball tournaments -- the 3rd/4th grade girls played and the older boys team, the cars were lined up for blocks.  I didn't go, but I am going to plan to go and cheer them on the next time they have games.  It was the most cars that I have ever seen in Patten!  On another good note, I was able to help my neighbor out who later in the evening was baking cookies for her son's birthday and did not have enough flour.  I had flour.  I have a good neighbor.  

Tomorrow morning I will go (snow or not) to Houlton for services at the UU Church,  I have found a good place for community and to fill my soul in the presence of other people.  I am glad they are there,  the church is beautiful and the people are big hearted and welcoming.  

It is the end of the first week of 2020,  who knows what the next week will bring.  I am going to keep blogging along and bringing anyone who reads along for the ride.  It is a very quiet Saturday Night and I think I might just wake up once again to a winter wonderland.  Sweet Dreams. 

Comments