Skip to main content

"Desk day"

The dining room table is my "desk"
Since moving to Patten I have a few bills that are not on "autopay" - today I set aside time to attend to my "in box".  I don't have a job anymore, but I still have my wooden in box, that was given to me after I had my first management job --- they gave me an "in box".  Somehow that box has gotten from several states in the midwest, to Vermont, back to Minnesota, and then to Maine, from Millinocket to Patten.    

The box was full, especially because in my weekend flurry of getting things back in place, I went through the drawer that this in box is kept, it was a mess of papers.   After clearing and sorting it was clear that the box needed attention (well the papers in the box needed to be read and acted upon).  Today was the day.  Bills were paid.  Envelopes addressed. Cards were written.  New to do list was started.  Copies were made.  I think that maybe this summer I will look for a desk.  It is a part of the continued getting myself settled into this house that I know need to happen, but not this winter, not while I am on my spring fling, hopefully this summer!  

One of the bills that I wrote was to the guy who picks up my garbage.  Today was garbage day.  I got the check written and in it's envelope before he came.  I saw John's truck pull up, and put on my boots and out I ran to give him the check (I wanted to save the postage) I yelled and waved and off he went, across the street.  Not to be deterred, off I went across the street, no coat, a heavy sweater,  and once again waving hands and yelling to John...finally he saw me--the envelope was exchanged and he admitted he could hardly hear a thing.    

I chuckled as I walked back across the street, the lengths I would go to save 50 cents.  

Now i am listening and sort of watching the impeachment proceedings.  Adam Schiff, has made his place in history, no matter what historians will talk and study what this Congressman did and how he carried the mantle of democracy in such a flawless way.  It is hard to not be dismayed, but for today I am going to hang onto the bearers of light, the actions of today do bend an arc for the future.  

So I think about this arc that bends.  I have an inbox that is far less full.  I did do a number of things that had just been put off.  Nothing earth shattering, no actions that shifted anything except my in box, but I feel like I did what I needed to do today.  

Tomorrow the sun is supposed to be shining bright, the weather getting a little warmer.  I get to spend some time outside, hopefully a little snowshoe time.  No desk day tomorrow!   

Comments